Electron cards?

Hi all, I'm guessing someone here will know the answer, or point me in the right direction :)

I have just opened a basic account with the Halifax, and have recieved my Electron card.. I went to order my groceries online as usual, and they don't accept the card. Is this usual for Electron? Does anyone know if i can use them in the supermarkets themselves, for fear of being at a checkout with a trolley load and a toddler... and my card being refused?!

Is there anywhere where I can find out which shops do/don't accept this card?
I shall miss my debit card... but I have closed my old account, and am down to the 'basic's now.
:o:o:o

Comments

• LemonGrove
    LemonGrove Posts: 618 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2009 at 10:15PM
    Yes Electron's aren't accepted at anywhere near as many places as other cards, so such a low number of people want them and thus that is why it is the only card that Ryanair don't charge you to use. :p ASDA* take them as do Sainsbury's*, Tesco doesn't.*

*Based on what their website accepts for online grocery ordering.
    Male. :o
  • iloveme_2
    iloveme_2 Posts: 468 Forumite
    i have an electron card and asda and sainsburys accept them, i do all my online shopping with asda. I just opened another basic bank account with barclays and got a visa debit card with that account which ive been able to use on more websites than the visa electron and im quite sure tesco accept it. with regards to using the visa electron in the shops ive had no trouble with it.
    hope that helps.
  • I did find Asda take Electron online as do Sainsburys but not Tesco (the only three in my area).
    It basically costs the retailer more to process an Electron card as your balance must always be checked when using the card, so some retailers don't accept them online or in shops. There could be other reasons for not accepting them tho of course!

Hope it helps!
    I work for Halifax (a division of Bank of Scotland plc, owned by HBOS plc, owned by Lloyds Banking Group plc). Any comments or views are my personal comments and opinions and not those of my employer. Oh and I might (on the odd occasion) get something wrong, if I do then I do apologise in advance!!
  • Minxz
    Minxz Posts: 840 Forumite
    Thank you :)
    Its good to know most retail shops accept it.. the online shopping will have to go to another supermarket i guess!
    Wonder why some accept it and some dont!
    :o:o:o
  • tanyab
    tanyab Posts: 47 Forumite
    Tesco dont accept it as Electron can be given to someone as young as 11 years old and they could potentially buy alcohol or chocolates with alcohol etc
    This was the explanation given me to me by someone on their Customer services Number last year before I got a Visa Debit Card with Barclays.
    Obviously indtore they accept Electron as staff can see what is going on and measures are in place.
    Tanya
  • gazelle8760
    gazelle8760 Posts: 259 Forumite
    The Gazelle was so glad to get rid of The Electron Card, it was the worst thing The Halifax did, get rid of Solo for Electron. I found the card totally useless, hardly anyone accepted it, the numbers not being raised were fading too quickly, and you constantly had to ask if it was accepted before getting it out for payment, to avoid the embarrasment of the dreaded answer "Sorry, we don't accept these cards here".

The Card did have some advantages, and that was it is easier to use abroad, as South Africa seems to prefer that method of payment, and found that my regular Visa Debit on occasions would not be recognized, or just kept not authorizing, this may of had something to do with the fact they were changing to chip and pin at the time, or the type of card the bank gave me, which they replaced, stating many customers had complained of similar stories.

Whoever had the novel idea to introduce Electron needs Horse Whipping, you would be better at times just paying with Chocolate Coins. :confused:
  • TheHorse
    TheHorse Posts: 31 Forumite
    Its my understanding that Electron cards are only supposed to be used on customer present transactions which is why you would normally never be able to make mail or telephone orders with them and very few internet orders. My website accepts Electron (via SagePay) but I also have 3D authentication on the site as a further identity/security check (maybe that has something to do with it).
  • LemonGrove
    LemonGrove Posts: 618 Forumite
    tanyab wrote: »
    Tesco dont accept it as Electron can be given to someone as young as 11 years old and they could potentially buy alcohol or chocolates with alcohol etc
    This was the explanation given me to me by someone on their Customer services Number last year before I got a Visa Debit Card with Barclays.
    Obviously indtore they accept Electron as staff can see what is going on and measures are in place.
    Tanya

I think they have told a bit of a white lie - you can get a Visa Debit, a Solo or a Connect from Age 11, and these are accepted online.
    Male. :o
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I use my Electron in Tesco stores no problem, its just online they wont take it, as you are supposed to be present when making the purchases with it.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've used electron in Tesco, although cannot use it on there website.

Where do you usually shop ?
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family