🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

When to tile kitchen floor

Options
I planned to fit the kitchen then lay some tiles, but i have just watched a move improve programme and they tiled the whole floor first. I thought they may have done this because the kitchen was a freestander with no plinths, but seeing the finished project it did.

Mine has plinths to go down. I haven't even thought of tiles at this stage, but if i am going to need them first i am going to have to.

What have you had done, tile first or last?
Thinking about it, if i tile last how will the washing machine sit if it only just goes under plinths, and will they stay down with the vibrations??? :confused:

Comments

• Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    My preference is tile first, it's easier, fast and more professional.

The kitchen fitter doesn't have to return to fit trims and plniths once the tiling is done etc.

If the design is ever changed in teh future you don't need to pull the flooring up.

Downside you use slightly more tiles......but that's it.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    we're doing our after - just under the plinths but all the way under freestanding appliances. When your flooring is pricey it makes a big difference to the cost and I'd worry about the new floor getting damaged with the work going on on top of it
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Options
    I specifically asked for the tiles to be laid before the kitchen units as I thought the finish would be better.

otherwise they would have had to tile up to the edge of a tall unit and a breakfast bar where they couldnt have just lifted the plinth.

also, the tiles were put on before the skirting, so the skirting sits on top which looks better than a line of grouting next to the skirting.

the other issues we have had with our tiles are another can of tuna though!
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My tiles went down before the kitchen was fitted & I opted for the whole floor to be tiled. For the little bit of extra effort & cost it seemed wise to get it done properly.

Not only does it make cleaning under the plinths easier ( & what a lot of dusk & muck can accumalate under unit plinths, but it does mean that should I want to refigure the kitchen at any time in the future, I won't have to worry about having the floor retiled. So it will be an expense I can save on.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport