New boiler and moving it into the Loft

Options
rishishah
rishishah Posts: 112 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I want to move my current 15 year old Potterton Boiler from the ground floor into the loft and at the same time have a new boiler fitted.

I had a guy around who looked at all the work and said:

1) I would need a new hot water cylinder as this is required legally
2) All of my radiator controls would have to be replaced with thermostat ones legally, but if i did not want this i would have to sign to say i choose not to do it.
3) Go for Worcester Bosch boiler as they are the best.

My system is currently gravity fed.

The guy said he would take 8 days to do this - which is what shocked me!

Can it really take 8 days to get rid fo an oil boiler, put in a new boiler, put a gas pipe all the way into the loft, new hot water cylinger and fit radiator valuves to 8 radiators?

He will give me the quote is about 48 hours, but its the 8 days that suprises me.

Obviously i have asked another 2 guys to come around and quote.

I stay in Frimley, Surrey if it helps.

Comments

• R&C
    R&C Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm no plumber but we are soon to be based in Camberley so not far from you! We are getting the old boiler ripped out and a combi fitted and have seen a few plumbers so far, all of which varied in their opinions and quotaions. Anyway, getting to the point... my OHs boss recommended his plumber who came around and gave us a really good quote and was very thorough. He's based in Horley and I can message you his details if you would like me to.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    rishishah wrote: »
    I want to move my current 5 year old Potterton Boiler from the ground floor into the loft and at the same time have a new boiler fitted.

2) All of my radiator controls would have to be replaced with thermostat ones legally, but if i did not want this i would have to sign to say i choose not to do it.

Can it really take 8 days to get rid fo an oil boiler, put in a new boiler, put a gas pipe all the way into the loft, new hot water cylinger and fit radiator valuves to 8 radiators?

He will give me the quote is about 48 hours, but its the 8 days that suprises me.

Good evening: This guide from the Energy Saving Trust details requirements and best practice. Get 3 quotes from RGIs recommended to you by a source you trust but who ever you get in to quote check his/her details on the Gas Safe Register. If you decide not to use the services of any tradepersons who have given you a free quote/advice it is always a bonus if you let them know one way or another...common courtesy ,both ways, seems to be in serious decline at the moment:confused:

Cost and time required will vary...depends on the standard of the specification...always compare quotes like for like to judge the best value as the cheapest quote doesn't always equate to being the cheapest over the long term...witness the many posts on MSE about the cowboy/bodger/rip-off artists.

Good luck with your project.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rishishah wrote: »
    I want to move my current 15 year old Potterton Boiler from the ground floor into the loft and at the same time have a new boiler fitted.

8 days sounds excessive. I did the same thing last February. They took 3 days on the boiler works but the did pop out to do some "emergency jobs" in that time too, fitting of the TRV's is obviously dependent on how many radiators etc but I can't see this being able to take more than a day.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • ncooper1974
    ncooper1974 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    I'm no plumber, but we recently moved a system boiler from the kitchen (downstairs) into the bathroom (upstairs), and replaced it with a combi.
    He had to run a new gas feed (22mm) from the gas meter, and he also put on 3 TRVs, capped off 1 rad, and fitted 5 rads (including some minor re-plumbing work). Took him 3 days to do and i'm very pleased with his work.
    8 days........?!? i dont think so!
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning: Installation of a boiler in a loft has different requirements(see more here) and by its very nature will be more costly in terms of materials and time. A RGI, after conducting a site survey, would be best placed to advise.

Btw...I'm not a RGI but I'm married to one;)

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure