Another New Kitchen Question

Options
Hi, I hope to soon have a new kitchen. Two different builders have priced the job, one at £2,000, one at £10,000 :eek:. The room is quite large as it's a kitchen/family room but the kitchen part is L shaped, with the short part 2.3m and the long part 4m.

We need to do it as cheaply as possible (short term, will replace for longer term when finances allow) and I just want plain white, but is £2,000 at all realistic? Is it possible to do cheap without it being cheap and nasty? :o

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you actually picked a kitchen? Planned the layout properly?

You want to do it for £2000 including the fitting? Appliances? Any major changes to the existing layout?

£2000 fitted without any changes would be acheivable with a flat pack kitchen although that is a lot to spend if you plan to replace it again!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • NBirdy
    NBirdy Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2009 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Doozergirl. It's a new build so no existing layout, the house isn't built yet. I'm supremely unfussy about units/doors so long as they are white and don't look cheap and nasty. Yes the quote would include fitting, I'm pretty sure the £2000 doesn't include appliances.

Our budget is tiny as we can just about afford to build the thing with very little left over for bathrooms, carpets etc but we desperately need the space. This is our forever house so we're ok with fitting it out cheaply until the kids are older and I can work more hours.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    If the difference of the two quotes is so great. It would appear that the two quotes were not for the same specification of kitchen. Alternatively, one of the two doesn't know what he is talking about or one of the two is a rip off artist.You will have to work out which is which yourself.
    Question them both closely to ensure that you are all singing from the same hymn sheet as regards to specification.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • NBirdy
    Options
    Thanks for your input 27col. I know for sure the specifications are completely different, and whilst I'd love to spend £10k on a kitchen, it's just not possible right now. I think what I really want to know is if it's possible to do a reasonable job on £2k? I don't want to allow that much for the kitchen, then find out the very cheapest it could be done for is 3 times as much!

Has anybody done a kitchen that sort of size for such a small amount? And if so was it really horrible!?
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    I've just paid £400 for 2m of base units, and same wall units, and a 28mm worksurface, from B&Q. That's about the cheapest I could find. Magnet trade was dearer, and they were next. White, but not the contract range (white with a silver top or bottom edge)
    That's with no other fittings.
    So add those in, plus tiles, floor, labour, and £2000 doesn't look enough by a long way I'm afraid.
  • lisahobden
    lisahobden Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    why dont you try IKEA? Their kitchens would be within budget an they do 0% interest which would help you out
  • NBirdy
    Options
    THanks, I've just downloaded the Ikea Planner Software and will have a play with that. There isn't a labour charge in that, the £2k would just be for buying the units/worktop etc
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 July 2009 at 11:46AM
    Options
    If it is just units then I think you can get

I know some people like Ikea but I buy a lot of kitchens and apart from Ikea being flatpack(?) if you give their drawers etc. a good wiggle from side to side you will find a lot more movement in them than in (I'm giving these examples for a reason) a Howdens or B&Q Cooke & Lewis. I've wiggled a lot of ktichen drawers! I'm also not keen on how they wrap their high gloss doors - there is a definate line along the bottom which they sort of cap off so the bottom and top of the doors aren't wrapped properly. I think the potential is there to peel much earlier than a door that is properly wrapped around all edges.

B&Q apparantly have a genuine 50% sale on their Cooke & Lewis range. If you get a quote from them for units and worktops ONLY - do not be tempted to add anything else in as it's impossible to compare quotes with appliances thrown in - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Also Howdens. I'd have a look and get a plan drawn up. Their brochure is actually fantastic for ideas - better than the magazines I spend a fortune on each month! Your builders might come in quite high on Howdens because they love their own mark up on them, but I could try to get you a properly decent price on one - it might come in a bit over but it wouldn't be a temporary kitchen by any standard. I've planned the one in our barn to death to try and get lots of storage but fewer units in order to save money. Mine came in at around £2200 without worktops.

Bit of a rubbish pic because it was taken on my phone and it's not finished! but there it's a 3x3.6m L shape with a 1.8x1.2m island - so fairly sizeable!
    kitchen.jpg
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • NBirdy
    Options
    Thanks so much Doozergirl - you're a star! I'm loving the island in your pic, my perfect kitchen would have that too, there should be space as I think as the total kitchen/family room size is over 5m x 7m and there's only a table and chairs to go in with the kitchen.

I am literally taking notes of your advice - thanks again!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why are you putting a kitchen into a new build, surely this comes as standard?? I might be talking rubbish but a house without a kitchen fitted is unmortgageable, so how are you planning to complete the sale without a kitchen? :confused:

You can get second-hand kitchen units in very good condition from eBay or even Freecycle. New appliances, tiling and worktops and you'd have a lovely room for next to nothing. Cheap plain white tiles always look nice as long as you brighten the walls up with a lick of paint. Don't skimp too much on worktops as that really shows.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport