Sealing concrete/render

Options
I have an area of concrete/render and cement that I would like to seal as water seeps through into an outbuilding.
I have a couple of pots of old PVA stuff which is still useable, is it acceptable to use this in some way, or would I be better off buying something else and what would be the best thing to buy?
Thanks.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't exactly answered my question, but I now know I would like an impregnator sealer. Just there seems to be so many different types, I don't know what to choose.
    I know if I go to my local builders merchants they will fob me off with any old thing and if I go to a DIY shed, I'm likely to get a underperforming sealer (and overpriced).
    So if anyone can advise me, I would be grateful.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • knowloads
    knowloads Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    Liquid Rubber 2 coats with a brush or roller. should stop it but PVa first will help with dust. search roof-coaters , only issue, is where the wet will go once the inside is proofed, do you kow where its coming from????
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry I missed your reply.
    It's on the outside of my garage, the floor of the garage is below the path outside and any heavy rain sits there and seeps through the block wall. It's a concrete path, a bit of a block wall, then render above that, the path also has a water channel built along the edge next to the wall.
    So I reckoned, if I sealed the channel and bottom of the wall, I could sort it out.
    The water in the channel, more or less gets away to a good place in the end, but it's making the garage damp.
    I'll have a look at liquid rubber thanks.
  • G42
    G42 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Thomson's Waterseal is really good and is transparent unlike liquid rubber.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to create a french drain :)

Remove any paving from near to the garage wall, dig a trench along it, a few inches wide and fill with gravel or suchlike so it's permeable and allows water to drain away.

If it's not damp proofed from underneahth then it's never going to be totally dry, if there is one then make sure your trench is deeper than that and not filled higher.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

It's a bit more complicated than I originally thought. It's also difficult to explain. A concrete path has been built round the house, it slopes away from the house and towards the front of the house. At the side of this a large concrete base has been laid, level.
    The garage has been built from concrete blocks on this, the damp proof course being laid directly on the base and the wall on top.
    The problem is that the base is lower than the path and the garage hasn't been built along the edge of the path, but touching it one end and about 14 inches away the other, so there is this triangular area of garage base, out side the garage, which is a bit of a water trap, no wonder water seeps into the garage!

I'll post a photo later as it's hard to work it out from words.

I don't think a french drain is do able, as it's all concrete.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure