🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What to put on a kitchen floor?

Options
We are getting the kitchen gutted in our old terraced house. It presently has 2/3 layers of vinyl, alot of patched floor boarding some of which looks rotten. I wondering if it all should be ripped up, the boards the lot, and replaced.

I`m now thinking of floor boarding - is there any we could put down that could remain as the floor covering? Such as new boards that would good enough as they were?

Otherwise could you reccommend a floor covering you`ve used?

Thanks!

Comments

• Bishop_Basher
    Bishop_Basher Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, if you have some rotten flooring, it needs taking off and the joists inspecting to make sure you have a solid base to wok from.

Go to the edges of the room and bounce up and down, if there is a lot of movement on the floor you may have to replace rotten joists underneath.

As far as floor coverings is concerned the world is your oyster!
    In wood we trust.
  • Lakelady_2
    Lakelady_2 Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly, if you have some rotten flooring, it needs taking off and the joists inspecting to make sure you have a solid base to wok from.

Go to the edges of the room and bounce up and down, if there is a lot of movement on the floor you may have to replace rotten joists underneath.

As far as floor coverings is concerned the world is your oyster!

Now you know what you`re talking about! What about floor boards? Is there anything you can buy out there which would be good enough to use as it is ( after treating )
    I could put down laminate or vinyl or tiles - not too keen on any of it though.
  • Bishop_Basher
    Options
    Lakelady wrote: »
    Now you know what you`re talking about! What about floor boards? Is there anything you can buy out there which would be good enough to use as it is ( after treating )
    I could put down laminate or vinyl or tiles - not too keen on any of it though.
    Erm....... floorboards? :D
    In wood we trust.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you don't go for boards themselves then a tiled floor is great. It looks good, easy to clean & lasts for as long as you want it too. There is such a vast choice to choose from as well, to suit all tastes.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Bishop_Basher
    Options
    If you decide to tile the floor its even more important that there is no movement in it.
    The floor needs overboarding with 18mm ply and fixed/screwed at 150mm centres, make sure they are countersunk too, and you should use flexible adhesives and grout to cater for any slight movements.

In regards of the floor board option, it should be clamped or wedged to make sure the joints are as tight as possible and secret nailed through the tongue, but using new timber flooring it will eventually shrink regardless.

Modern timber is never/rarely seasoned any more (time is money etc) its kiln dried, but its just not the same.
    In wood we trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family