Paint for shower/bathroom ceiling to prevent mould

Options
I need advice on paint(white) for a shower ceiling to prevent mould.

any suggestions tips and where to buy!

kind regards

Comments

• danmurray
    danmurray Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    If there's mould on it at the moment, you'll need to wash that off with a mould/fungicide cleaner before you paint.

I'd highly recommend a brand called Zinsser; their Perma White is ideal. 2 coats provides a 5 year guarentee, its available in a Satin, Eggshell or Gloss finish and it's not too badly priced.
    A Bathroom paint (or Softsheen if you go Trade) would work well enough if you don't have existing mould or mildew problems. Softsheen is the exact same as a Bathroom paint - it's washable, resistent to condensation etc., so if you can get your hands on that you could save a small fortune. But the choice is yours.

As for where... depends where you are! I get all my paint from a place called Painters Choice Decorative Coatings. If you can, try getting it from a local independent as they can be a lot cheaper that B&Q/Homebase. Otherwise try a Decorator's Centre like Crown Trade Dec Centre or Dulux Dec Centre. You'll definately get the Zinsser there like.

Hope this helps... it's like a mini essay!
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    if you've not got one already , think about getting an extractor fan fitted
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    special paint can't prevent mould, it might be mould resistant.

you are better off concentrating on better ventilation, extractor, window open etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure