Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

NI to California - Best Way To Fly ?

in N. Ireland
14 replies 1.4K views
hnischnisc Forumite
187 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Is Dublin or London the best (cheapest) option or maybe Belfast to NY and connect from there?

I was planning to go Dublin to SFO which was until recently a direct flight but no longer :(

:confused:
:hello:v :money:

Replies

• cooki2222cooki2222 Forumite
    517 Posts
    aerlingus will be flying dub to sfo until october 24th.
    You could try americaholidays in belfast
  • c_l_a_i_r_ec_l_a_i_r_e Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Try pricing your dates with the following companies and see what routes/airlines come out cheapest:
    https://www.kayak.co.uk
    https://www.netflights.com
    https://www.expedia.co.uk

I'd try searches from Belfast and Dublin to cover all your options (the Belfast search will bring up London departures with Belfast connections).
    :starmod:C'est la vie:starmod:
  • hnischnisc Forumite
    187 Posts
    Forumite
    It won't be until next June and most airlines only operate up to 350 days prior to departure so i cant use Kyak as yet. Aer Lingus are obviously a no go, direct anyway.
  • jetboyjetboy Forumite
    524 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    London is generally a cheaper option than dublin (if you can get a cheap connection to LHR). I think only BA and Virgin run direct to SFO. Consider Chicago with VS and connecting as the Virgin flight is usually cheap (as it's never full)
    Timmay!
    517 Posts
    hnisc wrote: »
    It won't be until next June and most airlines only operate up to 350 days prior to departure so i cant use Kyak as yet. Aer Lingus are obviously a no go, direct anyway.

Aer Lingus are only suspending their direct service for winter season it will be back next year a lot of airlines are doing this now.

Winter Schedule Changes Commencing 25th October '09

In the context of the extremely challenging operating environment Aer Lingus will be reducing its long haul capacity for the Winter season commencing 25th October 2009.

The following Long Haul routes will be suspended from the above date:

From Ireland
    • Dublin to San Francisco
    • Dublin to Washington
    From USA
    • San Francisco to Dublin
    • Washington to Dublin
    While these routes have been suspended Aer Lingus continues to serve these markets via its other Transatlantic Routes in conjunction with our partner airlines JetBlue and United Airlines. These bookings can be made directly on aerlingus.com

Services between Shannon and Boston, which previously operated 7 days per week will reduce to 4 days per week, operating on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

Customers who have an existing booking on any these routes can rest assured that Aer Lingus is committed to getting them to their destination.

We will be contacting customers with bookings on the affected services in the coming days in order to offer alternatives to get you to your end destination as near to your intended arrival time as possible.

If you made a booking on one of the affected flights via a travel agent rest assured Aer Lingus will be communicating with your travel agent in the coming days. Please contact your travel agent directly to review the options available to you.

We appreciate customers may wish to contact our call centres directly in relation to these changes. Our telephone lines may be busier than normal. If your query is not urgent we would ask you to await contact from our Customer Services team in the coming days.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused to our customers by these changes.
  • hnischnisc Forumite
    187 Posts
    Forumite
    cooki2222 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are only suspending their direct service for winter season it will be back next year a lot of airlines are doing this now.

Not direct though...
  • wayne77wayne77 Forumite
    406 Posts
    Ive used Virgin from Heathrow direct to San Francisco,and found it very good service and reasonable price.
    517 Posts
    hnisc wrote: »
    Not direct though...

499.00 Dublin09:50 Fri 07 AugSan Francisco12:50 Fri 07 Aug

looks direct to me
  • hnischnisc Forumite
    187 Posts
    Forumite
    cooki2222 wrote: »
    499.00 Dublin09:50 Fri 07 AugSan Francisco12:50 Fri 07 Aug

looks direct to me

very good maybe you should read the rest of the thread... the direct flights are stopping from Winter.
  • dsabdsab Forumite
    328 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    As above stated they are only "suspended" over the Winter Season. The flights will most certainly be back in the Summer Schedule 2010.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals