what are these ingredients ?

New Post Advanced Search

what are these ingredients ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
6 replies 1.7K views
SCREAMIN_BABIESSCREAMIN_BABIES Forumite
1.8K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
hiya can anyone tell me what is vegatable shortening and what can i use in the place of baking beans . ?

im making a cornflake tart like i used to have at school but the ingredients differ from what i usually use on another recipe ?

thank you in advance
Free of dept Thanks Martin
:T :beer: beers are on me

Replies

• elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think vegetable shortening is a white sort of marge.

Have a look on the thread titled crazy american as she gives some tips there.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • wigginsmumwigginsmum Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about vegetable shortening, but any kind of dried beans or possibly dry rice would do in the place of baking beans; it's to stop the crust rising when baking blind so you need something to weigh it down.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • ariba10ariba10 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • MonkeyGirlMonkeyGirl Forumite
    587 posts
    Vegatable shortening is things like Trex I think. THIS LINK explains it :).

Hope that helps

MonkeyGirl

• thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    wigginsmum wrote:
    Not sure about vegetable shortening, but any kind of dried beans or possibly dry rice would do in the place of baking beans; it's to stop the crust rising when baking blind so you need something to weigh it down.

Don't do what I did once and put the beans directly on the pastry,put some greaseproof paper on first!!!

Veg shortening is anything like Trex or Cookeen,but I'd use a mixture of lard and butter for my pastry to avoid hydrogenated veg oil (or all butter). :)
  • QueenieQueenie Forumite
    8.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    veg shortening (see above)

If you dont' have any baking beans, !!!!!! your pastry base with a fork and then brush it with a little beaten egg.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~