Strike tomorrow (28th March)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
24 replies 1.8K views
wirmwirm Forumite
5.3K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Due to one-day industrial action by Trade Unions, Translink regrets to announce that no bus or rail services will operate within Northern Ireland on Tuesday 28th March 2006. This includes all Ulsterbus and Metro bus services, and NI Railways and Enterprise rail services.

I don't mind! Gives me an excuse not to go to Uni. No bus, so I can't get there! :D

Replies

• declanmccdeclanmcc Forumite
    412 Posts
    Great news for all the dispatchers at taxi ranks up and down Norn Iron eh?!

Stress levels will be high tomorrow!
  • rjh090384rjh090384 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    crap for my work where half my employess cannot attend!!
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to get to work - you will!!
  • leftieMleftieM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Not if you live miles away and you have no car!
    Stercus accidit
  • Oh !!!! no school buses tomorrow .
    That means the local hoods (sorry lovely children ) will be about .
  • JersyJersy Forumite
    553 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    gives me an excuse 2 stay at home and catch up on work!
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No sympathy whatsoever ... I am being told that I have to work until I am 65/67 or beyond to fund my own pension and to provide additional funds for the underfunded civil service pension scheme. They have a choice, either contribute more (like the private sector is expected to do) or work longer (like the private sector is expected to do). There should be no special rules for anyone.

ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • jndjnd Forumite
    453 Posts
    No sympathy whatsoever ... I am being told that I have to work until I am 65/67 or beyond to fund my own pension and to provide additional funds for the underfunded civil service pension scheme. They have a choice, either contribute more (like the private sector is expected to do) or work longer (like the private sector is expected to do). There should be no special rules for anyone.

ivan

Just to keep you up to speed, this time this has nothing to do with the NI Civil Service. Not even the same union. For once all civil servants aren't on stike. Maybe the English ones.
  • avonielavoniel Forumite
    581 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭

ivan

Dont know what wage you are on but 1000s of Civil Servants had to get an extra pay rise last October to bring them up to minimum wage. We do have a good Pension scheme (In our contracts for over 30 years, would you like your contract changed so near to your pension) but our poor wages offset this benefit
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My contract is being changed by the government telling me I am expected to work longer and should pay more into my pension scheme ... exactly the same rules should apply to the public sector. The pension is unfundable, the government has already raided the private sector schemes to get as much out as possible ... they have started to charge tax on interest payments (for no other reason than to fund their own schemes) ... what next?

Someone at some point is going to have to wake up and smell the coffee ... once the money has gone it has gone ... it can not be magiced from thin air (like this government is pretending it can). I think that one of things new labour will be remembered by is the mess they made of peoples lives by their incompetence in handling the pension crisis effectively.

ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides