Any SAAS / Scottish tuition fees experts??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
17 replies 8.1K views
carolbecarolbe Forumite
77 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
I've applied to do an HNC full-time after the summer but I'm wondering about tuition fees...

According to the SAAS website:

"We will not usually pay your tuition fees if you have previously been on a full-time higher education course at HNC, HND, degree or equivalent level, and had help from public funds to do so."

I previously did the first year of a degree course in 1999/2000 - at a time when tuition fees had been abolished in Scotland.

So, that SHOULD mean that I'd be able to get my tuition fees paid for me this time around, shouldn't it? Although I didn't pay tuition fees in 1999/2000, it was because there WEREN'T any, not because I'd applied to have them paid for me.

Will call SAAS on Monday to get a definitive answer, but just wondered if there were any experts out there today!

TIA!

Replies

• CG19aCG19a Forumite
    765 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    To my knowledge, you are allowed 1 false start. So if you do 1st year then change course, they would still pay your fees, but if you did the first 2 years of a course then changed, it becomes more complicated. Since you only did 1st year, you should get your fees paid for you.

My source is my ex-flatmate who works for the student loans company.
  • carolbecarolbe Forumite
    77 Posts
    Ooh - sounds promising! Thanks!
  • Sol00Sol00 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    As CG said, you're allowed one 'false start', so ud be able to get fees paid.
  • Did you manage to complete your first year of the degree course you did? If so, that would have been the equivalent of a HNC, which would mean you probably won't qualify for funding for another HNC course. I could be wrong ofcourse, but that's my understanding of it.
  • i finished my hnc last year, and am currently finishing my hnd...in scotland! So i think i can help.
    Basically if you are going to do a course which is below a level you already have, you will not get funding. So if you completed first year at uni, then you wouldn't get funding for a HNC, as a HNC is a lower qualification.

My friend done a hnc in busisness studies, then the next year went back to do some more highers and had to pay for it all herself as she already had a hnc.
  • littlepinkstars44, that's more or less along the same lines I was thinking too. :) If the OP has previously done one full year at uni (completed one full year) then it seems quite unlikely that she will be able to have her fees paid on the HNC course.

to OP, is it the same course you did last time or something unrelated? not sure if that would also have a bearing on the outcome of funding...?
  • Mr23Mr23 Forumite
    94 Posts
    I'm a bit unclear of what you said. Have SAAS paid your tuition previously or not? But if you did not complete the first year, you'd definitely have no troubles with getting the funding.
  • carolbecarolbe Forumite
    77 Posts
    This is an old thread but I just wanted to update it in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

I *was* entitled to have my tuition fees paid for me this year, despite having completed the full first year of a degree in 1999/2000. The reason was that in Scotland tuition fees had been abolished during my original study time (1999/2000) therefore I hadn't actually received tuition fee financial support for HNC level study before.
  • eklynneeklynne Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Be careful of this! You may reach the third year of your degree and find out that you have to pay your own fees for your final year. My brother was caught out that way.
    Also, the false start thing only counts if you gave up your course before a certain date, for my Uni it is the 15th of December.
    Also, tuition fees in Scotland aren't abolished as such, it's just that the government pay them for you.
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eklynne wrote: »
    Be careful of this! You may reach the third year of your degree and find out that you have to pay your own fees for your final year. My brother was caught out that way.
    Also, the false start thing only counts if you gave up your course before a certain date, for my Uni it is the 15th of December.
    Also, tuition fees in Scotland aren't abolished as such, it's just that the government pay them for you.

I do agree that this last point is very important. Just because money hasn't changed hands doesn't mean that you haven't had any financial support.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals