New Post Advanced Search

Best way for 18yr old to take money/spend in USA

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
4 replies 1.1K views
chem_jchem_j Forumite
168 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
Hi,
Hope you can help. My 18 year old sister is going to the USA for a month to stay with friends. What is the best way for her to take her money (apart from cash)? I can't see her being accepted for a credit card so should she take a prepaid currency card, get a Nationwide account or what?
Thanks!

Replies

• M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K posts
    if she wants to go down the prepaid route, i think the fairfx.com card is the best (rate wise anyway today).

the downside to that is it charges $2 for a cash withdrawl, but anything spent on it, as in store purchases is fee free..

then, the nationwide account is very good, which is only 1% visa charge on the exchange rate..

M
  • when i was a backpacker at 18 i took travellers cheques. getting a bank account set up would also work. as long as it's maestro/visa debit then it'll be fine. she'll just need to inform the bank that she'll be in the US so they don't close her account on suspicion someone else is using her card.

i am with HSBC...if you sign up to their bank account plus then it's free withdrawls at any hsbc atm in the world and free travel insurance.
  • CountryGooseCountryGoose Forumite
    302 posts
    You can open your own good value FX card and get them a second card on that account. You would be responsible for their actions - but at least it's in the family. It may also be useful to have a line of credit for emergencies.
  • WolfSong2000WolfSong2000 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    when i was a backpacker at 18 i took travellers cheques. getting a bank account set up would also work. as long as it's maestro/visa debit then it'll be fine. she'll just need to inform the bank that she'll be in the US so they don't close her account on suspicion someone else is using her card.

i am with HSBC...if you sign up to their bank account plus then it's free withdrawls at any hsbc atm in the world and free travel insurance.

Maestro cards don't seem to be widely accepted in the USA...a friend and I are going out, and she can't seem to pay for anything (hotels, greyhound, etc) on her maestro card...simply no option. As I have a visa, I'm having to pay while she ays me back...not the best situation!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support