Getting income-based grants

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
7 replies 572 views
CardeliaCardelia Forumite
242 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
My fiancee is in the second year of her degree and she moved in with me at christmas. Previously she was assessed on her parents household income which is over £60k pa, therefore she gets no means-tested grant. However, her parents were never and are not supporting her financially, whereas I am. My earnings are well below £60k pa.

How do we go about getting her assessed as being supported by me, rather than her parents? Her previous LA was Oxford, whereas we're both now living in Brighton. Do we have to apply through Brighton council, or should we notify the student loans company and they will send her forms to fill out?

Replies

• LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want a change in circumstances form, however I am not sure if they will do it because she moved elsewhere. I think she would have to have moved out for at least 3 years to be considered.
  • SaucySecretsSaucySecrets Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    She will still be assessed on your parents unless she is over 25. Otherwise, you have to live away from home for 3 years, or be able to prove she has been COMPLETLY supporting herself for 3 years. This includes council tax, rent, everything. There are no exceptions, and they check EVERYTHING. Any indication her parents were involved will mean she will be still assessed on them.

Stupid rules.
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC if you get married before the start of the next academic year your fiancee will be assessed as your dependent. Otherwise she needs to be over 25 or have supported herself financially for a full three years.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • TaikoTaiko Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firefox is correct about the marriage thing, so if she is under 25 you should hurry down that aisle, only got until the 1st September!

With the LEA thing, you stay with Oxford for the duration of her studies even though she's now moved.
  • CardeliaCardelia Forumite
    242 Posts
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

Regards supporting herself for 3 years, what exactly counts as supporting herself? I ask because she had a gap year before going to university where she lived with her godmother in London - this is also the place she spent university holidays before we moved in together, so at the end of this academic year, she will have been moved out of her parents home for 3 years.

I'm not sure how well this has been recorded because she didn't pay any rent or council tax whilst in London. She did have a job though, will things like NI records be sufficient documentary evidence?
  • SaucySecretsSaucySecrets Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Supporting herself will be pretty much no involvement from her parents/family. According to the letter I have from student finance, its paying her own rent, council tax, food, gas, electric, water, phone bills, paying tax and NI, wage slips or benefits for the entire three years...

Everything. So it doesn't sound like she'd pass, because they are very, very careful to pick up on everything. They are refusing me at the moment because I was at school for a small part of the three years, despite having all of the above evidence and wage slips.
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't count years in full time education as part of the period for supporting herself, I'm afraid. It sounds like she only had one year of being self supporting.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals