NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

cheaper heating

We have one west facing room at the back of the house which does not get warmth from the sun in the morning. I want to avoid switching on the house oil central heating system so am looking for an electric/wet radiator replacement.

Has anyone found a good one?

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Wwelcome to the forum.

What do you mean by good?

Bear in mind that the heat output from any electrical heater costs exactly the same regardless of the type and cost to buy. i.e. a cheap £30 oil filled radiator from Argos will be as efficient as any other heater.

It will still be cheaper to use your oil CH though!
  • Personally, I think a good heater is one where you can specify exactly what temperature you want it to be before it "shut downs" the heating... So that the heater don't use energy to make more heat than needed.

So a heater where you can specify temperature, etc. would be great, in my humble opinion.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    SmallPower wrote: »
    Personally, I think a good heater is one where you can specify exactly what temperature you want it to be before it "shut downs" the heating... So that the heater don't use energy to make more heat than needed.

So a heater where you can specify temperature, etc. would be great, in my humble opinion.

Most cheap heaters have a thermostat that does exactly that.
  • amtrakukamtrakuk Forumite
    630 Posts
    Also a cheap £2.99 plug in timer would be worth considering so it comes on and heats the room in time for when you get up. Also it can switch it off for when you are out the door.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals