Belfast City Airport Renamed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
13 replies 1K views
wirmwirm Forumite
5.3K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Just heard this on Radio 1. Link to the bbc website new story here.

Replies

• wirmwirm Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    .........A ceremony at the east Belfast airport is planned for 22 May, with the new signage being unveiled on what would have been his 60th birthday.

The decision to rename it George Best Airport followed meetings with his father, Dickie, and close relatives...........

• Gerry Anderson was on Radio Ulster ,and he said people were trying to rename
    Derry City Airport after him .The "Gerry Anderson Airport "....... or GAA for short .
    I dont think that one will happen .

As for the city airport ,I know there was a suggestion that only part of the Airport be called after George Best ,something along the lines off .."The George Best Lounge "
  • wirmwirm Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    To be honest I don't agree with renaming the airport. To me it will always be Belfast City Airport.
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a nice tribute :)
  • I thought it was a nice tribute :)
    At first I didnt agree with it .but then I thought about other airports that had been named after people .John Lennon ,JFK (new york ) Heathrow .
    We all know what George Best did with his life ,but I dont think he was any worse than any off the rest ,but at least he was honest about what he had become .I would rather it was named after George Best than some politician .
  • nadnadnadnad Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    just came across this - this has really annoyed me. I don't see why people would name an airport - or anything after a man who drank himself to death - he may have been a good footballer but seriously come on - did he ever do anything for northern ireland? did he help any community? put money into anything? all he is remembered for is drinking and being seen out and about with a lot of women. I just don't see how tht merits being honoured in this way! Surely there are other more worthy people who have done more for this country than George Best. I'm sorry if this is controversial but it really did annoy me when this was announced.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • Jon_CJon_C Forumite
    465 Posts
    nadnad wrote:
    just came across this - this has really annoyed me. I don't see why people would name an airport - or anything after a man who drank himself to death - he may have been a good footballer but seriously come on - did he ever do anything for northern ireland? did he help any community? put money into anything? all he is remembered for is drinking and being seen out and about with a lot of women. I just don't see how tht merits being honoured in this way! Surely there are other more worthy people who have done more for this country than George Best. I'm sorry if this is controversial but it really did annoy me when this was announced.

Best was an alcoholic. It's an addiction.

I count myself lucky that I don't have it and can therefore enjoy a few drinks without having to have more and more the way alcoholics do.

Sure, Best spent his money on women and booze (yeah, I know, the rest he just squandered)... but I have to say I'd probably have done the same in his shoes. He had the talent to get signed up to a big team and was thrust into the limelight with more money and adoration than he had ever dreamed of. That would kinda mess with your head, especially if you're an alcoholic.

(Was that in his genes or did he develop it for other reasons? His mum had it too. I don't know but I know that I don't have the right to pass judgment on someone who had the illness of an addiction I hope I'll never have to experience.)

Most alcoholics don't have the money Best did, so most don't get to give in to their addiction in quite the extravagant way he did. Most don't have his charm either so they don't find that unconditional affection and forgiveness he secured from so many people even when he let them down.

What did he ever do for Northern Ireland? You answered that yourself, albeit with an understatement - he was a good footballer. In my view this gave people here hope, something to be proud of and happy about during a time when other things were not so rosy. It's easy for us to impose our standards in the context of an altogether safer and more prosperous time.

I would guess that's why so many people paid their respects to him in December and why a lot of people would share my view that to rename an airport after him is an unusual but well deserved tribute.

I respect your feeling on this and have to say I thought the renaming of the airport strange at first (the airport cashing in?) but on reflection and taking the family's wishes into account, I would have to say I don't share your view.
  • nadnadnadnad Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    fair enough I understand your opinion. I also understand that that alcoholism is an addiction. But I still don't see how honouring the man in this way is quite justified. I watched his funeral and I was emotional about it, and I watched as thousands of people turned out to honour him. But to me that should have been the end of it. To honour a man who hasn't done anything "worthwhile" if you understand my meaning, for many years, and who never did anything other than play football just doesn't seem to make sense. If he had put money into opening a football school in Belfast or had done great charity work with his money I would fully appreciate this move. But the man simply drank whatever money he earned from the great talent he had, he squandered it, he was hardly a great role model for kids was he? In fact he was hardly a great role model for any one. I respect that he was an excellant footballer in his day, I respect that he was well loved by everyone, but I just don't respect whoever made the decision to honour him in this way. He did one thing and one thing only for northern ireland - play good football years ago - it hardly merits naming an airport after him.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • jndjnd Forumite
    453 Posts
    Someone said they should have named the Westlink after him as it's always blocked first thing in the morning.
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    other airports that had been named after people .............. Heathrow .

Heathrow was named after the village that used to be there - about where T3 is now !
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals