Price Comparison Sites

Options
roddydogs
roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
How is it that if i want to switch, and put in my EXACT Duel Fuel usage, sites still give different results......for the same company? How do you know what to believe?

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Maybe, roddy, just maybe ,some energy companies are paying extra commission to be top of the tree. More likely that the c omparison sites don't have the latest data.
    Stick to one site that you trust, like Energyhelpline.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    How is it that if i want to switch, and put in my EXACT Duel Fuel usage, sites still give different results......for the same company? How do you know what to believe?

You do mean exact kWh usage? not money? You are using the same method of payment? - some default to quarterly

Certainly when I try using kWhs I get the same results to within a pound or so.
  • Monters_2
    Options
    You are right Roddy, if you enter your details into saveonyourbills you will be able to save money by changing to the tariff you already use and keeping the same payment method! I agree with Ken, Energyhelpline are up to date and accurate.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Ken68, you should always stick to one comparison site otherwise you spend more time comparing comparison sites than you do comparing gas and electricity, I usually use Energyhelpline too as I find that site quickest and easiest to use.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »

If you provide the details I requested in the earlier thread you asked this question, I'll take a look.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1679207

There's normally a simple explanation :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 May 2009 at 1:18PM
    Options
    Monters wrote: »
    ... I agree with Ken, Energyhelpline are up to date and accurate.

Except, for example, for Scottish Power electricity customers who pay quarterly on receipt of bill, either by DD or promptly.

Energyhelpline still only allow £25 per year prompt payment discount, whereas it was increased to £50 per year in the price change end of March
    ... but it is hidden away in the small print on page 17 of their pricing brochure so perhaps not surprising Energyhelpline haven't picked that up yet.

For that reason I would always recommend to use at least 2 different comparison sites to ensure you get a consistent answer.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Except, for example, for Scottish Power electricity customers who pay quarterly on receipt of bill, either by DD or promptly.

Energyhelpline still only allow £25 per year prompt payment discount, whereas it was increased to £50 per year in the price change end of March
    ... but it is hidden away in the small print on page 17 of their pricing brochure

The prompt payment discount is kind of irrelevant anyway as its not included in the savings anyway, I suppose they cant guarantee this as not everyone pays their bills promptly
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 May 2009 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Plushchris wrote: »
    The prompt payment discount is kind of irrelevant anyway as its not included in the savings anyway, I suppose they cant guarantee this as not everyone pays their bills promptly
    I'm sure it used to be. They seem to have changed that too.

If you pay quarterly by DD, you are guaranteed the discount, but as you say they are not included in the Energyhelpline comparison now.

(Edit: Actually it still is, at least for payment quarterly by DD, but only at £25 per year.
    I think you are right, it was never included for payment not by DD as there is no guarantee the customer will pay promptly)
  • yourbestoption
    Options
    Be aware of energy comparison sites that show higher than actual savings.

Energylinx do not appear to have applied recent tariff reductions to tariffs no longer available. So they show current spend higher that it actually is, and therefore any possible savings more than they actually are.
    Energyhelpline have applied recent tariff reductions to tariffs no longer available, but if that tariff has an existing discount for less than 12 months, the discount is ignored. So again, they show current spend higher that it actually is, and therefore any possible savings more than they actually are.

Unfortunately, this means that any possible savings can not be taken as shown, and where possible should be double checked by doing an actual calculation.
    Disclaimer
    The information contained in this posting reflects the views and opinions of the author. Links to other sites are not an endorsement of any company, or their products and services. No responsibility is taken by the author for any information posted, or contained on any linked website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure