house that steps back in time...

Hello Fellow moneysavers,

I'm always a little dubious about posting a new thread in case it's already been asked etc!! But i'm going to anyway:D.

Decided today after falling in love with a rural bungalow that we're moving house...:eek:
Just looking for some advice re: cooking, heating etc as it's a different set up to what we're used to. We're currently in a 2 bed semi, gsh, gas cooker, gas fire, electric shower......

In this new place there is oil fired central heating, an electric cooker (old!) an open fire in the living room and an electric shower.

What I'm interested to know is how can I make oil fired heating work for us in terms or heating and water heating. What supplementary gadgets (god love em!) would be useful to a battered old electric cooker and whether it's mean to make the four children use the electric shower instead of their usual wallowing baths every evening:rolleyes:.

The place is lovely, really good sized plot, rural beautiful location and most importantly a third bedroom:T so I wouldn't want practical details to get in the way I guess. Also it's rented so we wouldn't be able to change or add anything permanent..

Thanks in advance M
#118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge

Replies

• "OIL-FIRED" - :eek::eek: ...ceridwen goes off shrieking..."that'll cost a fortune to run" and thats for right now.....and when the world oil supply starts running even lower...:eek::eek::eek::eek: about what price its likely to cost then....

<cough> errrr......are you sure that you love that house that much?
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSEMRSTITTLEMOUSE Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    I agree with ceridwen about the oil,I have friends who have this and it costs a fortune to run.Sorry to be so pessimistic but you have to consider these things.
  • miecheroxmiecherox Forumite
    243 Posts
    I know, it's a nightmare... I've been thinking about it all night because this is the only thing that puts me off really.

Have been thinking about how long throughout the year we don't even need it on so whether it would be possible to use a dishwasher once a day for the dishes, the electric shower for washing and the coal/wood fires for supplementary heating in the evenings. The house is very well insulated, it's all double glazed, the loft/roof is very well insulated and the doors are all draught excuded etc.

I realise in winter we will need to have the heating on so therefore the hot water.
    I'd be interested to find out how other people in the village manage as there isn't even gas piped to it:confused:
  • donny-galdonny-gal Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OK - Oil is renowned to be expensive, but I seem to recall n9eav saying the price he had at the moment was lowest for ages.

Options - Solid Fuel (Coal/Coke/Wood) or Calor Gas (Propane not Butane which can be affected by the cold). The open fire will burn wood, if there is the opportunity to collect wood from your garden/surrounding area that can be burnt. You could have a backboiler behind the open fire to give you hot water for baths, or even central heating, or a special solid fuel unit to supply central heating and hot water.

An Aga, burning wood or solid fuel, though I know these are not cheap even second hand.

Old electric cooker is I think a false economy, you can often get reasonable priced ones if you shop around and a new electric one will be more efficient. Alternatively if you prefer gas then calor is the only other option. A Microwave/Grill/Oven, is another option I would not be without mine.

Many people in the ex coal mining areas of the country still have these types of heating/water and even cooking via a range.

Good luck in your move, you will have to adjust to having things which are not instant and need "feeding".

DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • miecheroxmiecherox Forumite
    243 Posts
    You could have a backboiler behind the open fire to give you hot water for baths, or even central heating, or a special solid fuel unit to supply central heating and hot water.

Thankyou donny-gal I will ask letting agents today about a back boiler. I doubt there is one but it's always worth an ask! I remember my gran having one years ago for her hot water, and to be honest she'd probably give me a clip round the ear as she had no other heating source, no double glazing and lives in Scotland!!:rotfl:

There is definately the opportunity to collect wood in the surrounding areas both from woodland and from the beach so i'm not at all worried about that. My main issue is hot water really as I think an oil fired system would be very inefficient just for hot water for the childrens bath in the evening!!

I'm not really worried about the cold, only one of the children really feels the cold so we'll just have to get step grandma to knit more wooly cardigans and socks!!! ;)
  • red_bertiered_bertie Forumite
    455 Posts
    I live in rural NI and have no choice but to have oil fired CH and an immersion + non water heating fire, yes it is expensive. However, if you really love the place, go for it and make your savings in other areas where you can.

We also get lots of power cuts, so have our emergency supplies of gas lamps and candles and the hob is calor gas, oven geriatric electric.
  • flisshflissh Forumite
    720 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    I have just moved to a house with oil fired central heating. No gas in our village. I have not filled the tank yet, but it has made me think more about heating the water. We do not have a tank and emersion heater. But we are strict with ourselves, and only have the boiler on for our morning shower. I use the dishwasher for most washing up, (always did that anyway) we moved in in march and on chilly nights lit the open fire. I hope to remain frugal with the central heating come the winter.
    In a way I'm glad we have this form of heating, I was always a bit too eager to pop the Gas fired heating on, always had hot water in the tank (even when we were not using it) I like the idea of paying for a tank then using it, as opposed to getting a gas bill and being shocked at how much I have used.
    We have a large 'range' style cooker that was here when we moved in, it has two electric ovens and the hob is fired by calor gas. Must say, this seems fine too.
    So far, I have found I was worried about nothing. All the changes were worth it to live in our lovely cottage.
  • DianneBDianneB Forumite
    884 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi, until recently I lived in a village without gas and had oil fired central heating and if I decided to move back to it it wouldn't worry me one bit! My boiler was quite old but had the option to use full heating or just hot water in the summer (no immersion heater in my house). It wasn't cheap but it wasn't hugely expensive (now electric storage heaters - that would scare me!!). In Norfolk there are so many villages without gas and thousands of families manage very well without it. If you love the house go for it! Another thought - my boiler only heated up the water as you used it, no waiting for a tank full and heating water you didn't need, can't get more economical than that!! Go back and check out the system! From the way you describe your new home (woodland, beaches) its a no brainer! Good Luck.
    Slightly bitter
  • nesssie1702nesssie1702 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    We live in a house that's got oil fired central heating and while it's been expensive, it's also easily controlled. We filled up the tank with 800 litres of oil last week and it's costing £320. That's not bad compared to the £550 that the same amount cost last summer when heating oil was 62p a litre :eek:

We don't have a hot water tank, so the hot water comes straight off the oil combi boiler. We both have electric showers in the morning, so that cuts down on our useage of the oil.

My cooker has a propane gas hob and electric oven. I'm still on the 47kg bottle of gas that we got in July 2007, so that's done pretty well. Reckon I'll have to get a new one this summer though, but I'm not complaining.

All the best with your move!
  • mamburymambury Forumite
    2.2K Posts

My cooker has a propane gas hob and electric oven. I'm still on the 47kg bottle of gas that we got in July 2007, so that's done pretty well. Reckon I'll have to get a new one this summer though, but I'm not complaining.

Same here!!! I have only had two replacements in five years and I use the hob a lot. I have a thing about keeping veg separate for flavour (not very OS/MSE but hey ho!)

Mambury
    sealed pot challange #572!
    Garden fund - £0!!:D
    £0/£10k
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals