🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Shocking Gas Bill

Options
Katie1980_2
Katie1980_2 Posts: 178 Forumite
edited 4 May 2009 at 10:20AM in Energy
Just had a gas bill in for £700 erm I KNOW!! I have not used that much, if at most about £50-£60 worth at least!

Had an energy grant to cover their last mess up which I am still fighting, which all but cleared my account.. Now I check paperless billing this morning after giving them a reading and find a bill for £700, I am going to recheck my meter in a bit but because it is in an akward place I need to dismantle things before I can read it. which is why I have had odd bills as the meter readers get creative with figures as they cannot see it properly to make the reading

I have tried to contact BG and query this but they are not open today. Any suggestions or would I have to put up and shut up I am on the essentials tarriff

ETA - Just re read meter and entered new reading think OH must have read it backwards to me.
Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
£2,960 in debt to RBS paying off at £10 a Fortnight

Comments

• Tammer
    Tammer Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

That's a worrying situation - I know, I was sent an electricity bill for £2,500!

Luckily I had kept a note of my meter readings going back 18 months so was able to demonstrate that they'd made a mistake.

From what you've said, I'd think you'd be sensible to keep a note of your readings every 6 weeks just in case there are future problems.
  • samba
    samba Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know what you have blocking access to the meter, but maybe it would be a good idea to permanently move it, so both you and the meter readers can read the meter more easily in the future?
  • Katie1980_2
    Katie1980_2 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Samba I have tried to ask for a hole to be cut in the front of the box holding my meter but if falls on deaf ears so I am drilling and sawing this weekend.. I live in a victorian terrace and the meter is inside so the Housing people put a box over it but forgot to put a hole to read it..

I should get an updated bill it was inputted on the system incorrectly
    My heating was turned off in Feb much to Oh's disgust and I heat my hot water for 4 hours a day.
    Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
    £2,960 in debt to RBS paying off at £10 a Fortnight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills