NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Beware Vaillant ecoTEC expansion hose failure

I had a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 635 condensing boiler, which was supplied and fitted in August, 2005 by local boiler engineers who have since carried out annual services.

A few days ago the rubber expansion hose on the left side of the boiler split resulting in water leakage that damaged the boiler beyond repair.

I have since discovered that this is a known potential failure point for which the solution is to replace the two rubber hose expansion joints with all-copper alternatives.

If you have a Vaillant boiler with rubber expansion hoses, I suggest you consider having them replaced with the new copper alternatives.

If you take the front panel off your boiler you'll see two copper pipes. One runs up the left side and the other is on the right. Both have rubber hoses in the middle to allow for expansion. Apparently it is the left side that is most prone to split.

As Vaillant don't seem to deem it necessary to write and warn customers about this design weakness, I thought I'd write this post. Needless to say my replacement boiler is not a Vaillant.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum