Tribunal, DLA two weeks.

I am hoping that someone might give me a little advice on how to sort out my paper work,and what will happen at the hearing,it said on my letter that only ONE person may attend with me,(it is for my child)I have some one who knows about appeals, will I take my child too ?,am really sorry for asking for help, I am so stressed,but surprised that is has only taken three months,it is the mobility part that we are appealing about,but I was going to add a letter about everything,and get a letter from her C/A as she wont walk to school canteen because it is to long for her to walk,if someone could help,please as tomorrow I will get my letter/paperwork sorted out to get it posted.....Thanks for looking..

Comments

• jmabnc
    jmabnc Posts: 220 Forumite
    Please could anyone give advice,please. I dont know where to get help.
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hello
    you are perfectly entitled to take your child ( the claimant) with you as WELL as the other person who will be acting for you at the appeal
    however a word of caution- I have attended appeals for my own son who has a physical disability, but who does NOT LOOK disabled- if you think your child looks Ok and not too disabled ( sorry- i hate saying that but you know what i mean) then it might be worth leaving your child at home - if they ask where she is - simply say " the paperwork said I could only bring one person"
    I used to say " he's on a school trip that he didn't want to miss"

Good luck with your tribunal - I hope you win
  • justevi
    justevi Posts: 378 Forumite
    Try to get reports from anyone who knows your child to support your claim. Try not to panic about it, just remember to state the worst case scenario and lay it on thick. eg You dont say she WONT walk to school canteen, you must say she CANT!
  • covlass
    covlass Posts: 562 Forumite
    Wether you take your daughter or not is upto you really. I didnt take my daughter with me (which was also re Mobility) as due to her disabilities it would have been to stressfull for her and I wouldnot have been able to answer the questions fully.
    Take all your paper work with you and any additional information which you have which the tribunal have not recieved. So do get a letter from her C/A and take it with you !

The actual tribunal its self isnt that bad.
    You will be seen by the clerk to the panel first, they will ask if you have nay more evidence if so this is the time to hand it over so they can copy it and give it to the panel.
    We ( the person helping me and myself) went into a room, there was 4 people on my panel as DWP had also sent someone, so you may only have 3, the judge, a Dr and a disabled person. The judge will say why you are there and ask if that is correct. Then questions will be asked by the panel. Try to answer the questions clearly as possible and stick to the point. I was only asked questions by the diabled lady, she asked what happens when I take my daughter out and do we go on holiday. The Dr stated that the medication my daughter takes is very powerful and is unusually for a child of her age to be on it. The gentleman ( my support) summed up everything that had been said. We was asked to leave the room why they talked, 5 mins later we went back in and on the table where I was sitting was a piece of paper which stated the out come. The udge then went on to say that they had awarded the max amount for 3 years as my daughter then turns 16 so thats the longest he could do.
    I hope this helps alittle, I got myself worked up and it wasnt worth it you know your child better than anyone ad I felt that having the chance to talk to people much easier than trying to fill out the forms!
    Good luck any thing else ust ask will try to answer x
    " I would not change you for the world, but I would change the world for you"
    Proud to be parent of a child with Autism:D

When I see your face there's not a thing that I would change 'cause your amazing just the way you are
  • jmabnc
    Kazzah, I know what you mean,(with her disability, to look at her she looks "normal",but her arm is shorter than her good side,and she walks with a limp).

Thanks to everyone for your help,it has really helped,i am worried because its seems very quick(a couple of months wait,)when I said wont walk,is because its far to long for her to walk, her C/A brings her lunch back for her to eat it in school. Thanks again. Take care.
  • Hello jmabnc,

As the other's have said, it's entirely up to you to decide if you take your child to the tribunal.
    If you wish to send any extra supporting evidence, it's in your best interest to get it in asap. This way, the panel will have time to read it before your date.
    It was clear from my appeal, that the panel had read all of my submissions and had questions to ask.

Just try and think about the bigger mobility picture, and use different examples.
    Have a look at this link from a dwp decision maker, who explains the criteria for mobility for a child.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1250001&highlight=thanatos

Also, have a look at the following link, where it explains about 'attention' 'supervision' 'risk of falling' 'mobility'.
    http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/dmakers/default.asp
    Try and relate these terms to your child, and use them in your tribunal.
    If you have any examples of things that have happened, then use these to highlight your point.

Like covlass the thought of the tribunal is daunting. I attended mine on my own, but I knew I had to keep calm, and stick to the facts and not deviate.
    You will be asked questions, and you will have chance to put your case.
    Just have some bullet points of things you need to get across, just so you don't miss anything out.
    Be methodical and think like the dwp.

Good luck

Munchie :D
  • mcmn18
    mcmn18 Posts: 13 Forumite
    After being successful in my appeal I would always recommend having the CAB there, the chap that came with me took all my paperwork and sorted it out for me and suggested other paperwork and evidence I hadn't thought of.
    He made sure as I was nervous that if I answered anything that could be taken negatively he qualified it with what I had actually meant.I had only met him once a couple of weeks before my hearing.
    I had my other half and the chap from the CAB there as he was representing me I was told my other half could be the one other person, I was also leaning on him for support beacuse of my mobility problem which I was told afterwards was a good move as it showed them the problems that I had just trying to walk the corridor to the meeting room, so it might actually be a good idea to take your daughter
  • jmabnc
    Thanks again to everyone, I have my MP going with me,he said to bring my child but they might not want to see her,but they might, please could someone help with another question ?,Will I just write a letter stating the facts about her walking,and since they look at the whole claim,will I include everything, I have went through the paper work they sent,so I am now trying to add things that where left out,as nothing has really changed which they where told.her doctor has given an up to date letter,she was very surprised why they lowered her rate. Sorry for asking again,my head is all over the place... Thanks again.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    jmabnc wrote: »
    Thanks again to everyone, I have my MP going with me,he said to bring my child but they might not want to see her,but they might, please could someone help with another question ?,Will I just write a letter stating the facts about her walking,and since they look at the whole claim,will I include everything, I have went through the paper work they sent,so I am now trying to add things that where left out,as nothing has really changed which they where told.her doctor has given an up to date letter,she was very surprised why they lowered her rate. Sorry for asking again,my head is all over the place... Thanks again.

Hi there

Just got round to reading the post very quickly now.

Glad you managed to have someone to support you through this.

Only to say that both myself and hubby went to a tribunal DLA hearing a few years ago on behalf of our son, you will sit in a room with normally 3 tribunal members, in our case was of them was a doctor, although he did not have a clue about Autism, but we got through it.
    They basically go through what they have in front of them, "submission papers" and with us before entering the room was asked if we brought further information so they could take this into consideration also.
    There is no harm in adding further information to help your case.

I also had advice before the hearing from someone who used to work for tribunals and benefits, who told me what to expect.
    As much as you will get all the info and help you require on this site by these amazing posters who have already posted to you, also check on this site below as well if you want to, this is where I found the info and advice, as I did not know this site then lol, but good luck anyway.
    Please let us know how you get on.;) I'm sure it will all go fine X
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=974905
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills