state pensions

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
13 replies 1.2K views
janetyugjanetyug Forumite
6 Posts
I just wanted to ask this question. I am sixtyone and last year I retired. But what I would like to say is that I started working when I was fifteen in 1966, I had a few jobs in the first year and then I worked in two factories in Brighton untill I was thirty when I joined American Express in 1977. But when I got my pension last year Its only pension from 1977. So you see the first ten years that I worked is for nothing. Because I only earned about ten pounds a week and sometimes I didn't pay tax or nat ins. I just wonder how many more pensioners that has happened to.:confused:

Replies

• pukkamumpukkamum Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This happens a lot and this is why it is important to keep the benefits agency up to date with your current address as they will write to you with a pension forecast letting you know that your contributions are low and giving the opportunity to pay a lump sum to get the full pension.
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will happen to someone I know as for years he worked at temporary cash in hand jobs even now I don't think he realises the significance even though I have tried to explain it to him... silly man...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • elljayelljay Forumite
    985 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    janetyug wrote: »
    I just wanted to ask this question. I am sixtyone and last year I retired. But what I would like to say is that I started working when I was fifteen in 1966, I had a few jobs in the first year and then I worked in two factories in Brighton untill I was thirty when I joined American Express in 1977. But when I got my pension last year Its only pension from 1977. So you see the first ten years that I worked is for nothing. Because I only earned about ten pounds a week and sometimes I didn't pay tax or nat ins. I just wonder how many more pensioners that has happened to.:confused:

I'm a bit confused, I was 15 in 1966 but am only 58 now. Is it my maths or what??? Hopefully I'm not older than I always thought I was. And I can't draw my oap until I'm sixty something in a few years time anyway because of the changes so am surprised that you get yours now. As others have said, it is possible to buy back missing years but you would need to calculate how worthwhile it would be to do this. I saw an example of this on tv recently and it seemed hardly worth doing. Like many people, I'll have to work till I drop anyway, I think these days the concept of retirement is a bit artificial as so many people carry on working, if only a few hours a week, it can make all the difference. If you're unable to cope would you still be able to work as you're still so young to be pensioned off, or maybe you qualify for pension credit?

Liz
  • chesky369chesky369 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    A lot of married women of 'a certain age' were caught in this trap and only realised what they'd gotten themselves into (or out of) when they were coming up to retirement - thank goodness younger women are more savvy.
  • edited 29 April 2009 at 5:38PM
    6 Posts
    edited 29 April 2009 at 5:38PM
    Thank you all for your replys. Sorry I got my date wrong it was 1964, Because I had a child at nineteen and that was 1969. But I worked at a factory for nineyears untill I was made redundant but I only started at seven pound 99 and when I was made redundant I was earning about ten pounds and I was twenty nine by then. What I would like to know is who do I go to find out if its on record that I work then. I got my pension because both my husband and I didn't have a job last january when I turned sixty so that is why I got it.:confused:
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    janetyug wrote: »

Just because you were only earning £10 doesn't mean you wouldn't be paying Nat Ins, you still should of paid it so why are they not counting those years? you say they are only counting from 1977 have you asked the DWP why they are not counting the earlier years? You say you had a child at 19 so even if you weren't working you should still get Home Responsibilities Protection for the years you were collecting child allowance..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • edited 29 April 2009 at 8:09PM
    seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2009 at 8:09PM
    Maybe the earnings were too low to pay NI? I don't know what the threshold was in those days (can't remember!). I do know that you don't start paying them until you are 16.

Maybe ring the Pensions Centre and ask.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • jancee_2jancee_2 Forumite
    221 Posts
    NI contributions were counted from the tax year in which you reach your 16th birthday until the one before you reach 60. You got your pension at 60 because of your date of birth. You got three 'free' National Insurance years at age 16, 17 and 18.

What makes you think they only counted from 1977?

Is it possible you paid the married woman's stamp? That could have ruled out several years.

tanith, Home Responsibilities Protection didn't start until 6 April 78. OP, if you had a child at 19 then check whether the latter years before he/she was 16 have been credited [again, ruled out if entitled to pay married woman's stamp in that period].

Ring 0845 6060265 and get a breakdown of which years were counted.
  • edited 30 April 2009 at 12:27PM
    6 Posts
    edited 30 April 2009 at 12:27PM
    Thank you all for your replys. But unfortunaty the baby was adopted as my parants said I couldn't keep her. Anyway I started working at twenty and was there for the next nine years, I did pay nat insu, But only if I earnt extra when I did overtime. But there was times when I was late clocking in maybe about five minutes That I took home more that week because I payed less tax . So just wanted to know if there is anything I can find out why. I found out when they sent the paper work with my first payment last year. It seems that what work I did before then is not counted.:confused:
  • EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under the old rules only full NI years were counted - where you were fully paid up for every week of the year. It sounds as though you paid odd bits of NI here and there which never added up to a full year and thus would not be counted.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals