🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit Card.Minmum Payment Due Date

Options
Hiya All!
My minimum payment on my credit card was due by 27th April, I paid this with my debit card on the phone on the 27th April. I was then given an automated message, saying my payment has now been processed and it gave me an authorisation code. I phoned my credit card company today and to my horror, they told me my payment has not been accepted yet by them and I will incur a late payment charge? At this moment, I have requested a manager to ring me with the hour, as I feel this is so unfair. Have any one got any expert advice please?
Many Thanks.

Alan

Comments

• gnaril
    gnaril Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the bank really, a few of them althought u make a debit card payment it is not instant, i know HBOS isnt, it takes at least 1 working day to hit the account. I guess on the back of your statement it would advise you how long to leave before the due date for any form of payment, worth having a look there.

If you have not had previous charges shouldnt be too much of an issue for manager to refund it if they seen u paid on the day, if they do not refund advise them you want to make a formal complaint, once it goes to their complaints team they would do it anyways( providing you aint run the account like a lunatic:) ) It aint worth the hassle to argue over small fee.

Hope u get it sorted.
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    You don't say which card is involved.

Lenders vary in this respect, as with everything else, but the time required is normally shown on websites and on the back of monthly statements. You should allow up to 4 working days (depending on your method of payment) for the funds to be credited to your credit card account

Might be an idea to set up a direct debit to pay the minimum amount. That way, it's your provider's responsibility, not yours, to make sure the monthly repayments get there
    on time ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • mrbecky1
    mrbecky1 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    gnaril wrote: »
    Depends on the bank really, a few of them althought u make a debit card payment it is not instant, i know HBOS isnt, it takes at least 1 working day to hit the account. I guess on the back of your statement it would advise you how long to leave before the due date for any form of payment, worth having a look there.

If you have not had previous charges shouldnt be too much of an issue for manager to refund it if they seen u paid on the day, if they do not refund advise them you want to make a formal complaint, once it goes to their complaints team they would do it anyways( providing you aint run the account like a lunatic:) ) It aint worth the hassle to argue over small fee.

Hope u get it sorted.
    The manager has not phoned me back yet?
    It is a Vanquis card (sorry) and I have never been late with any payments before. I have a limit of £500, which I have never gone over.So, when they give you a message stating your payment has been processed, with an authorisation number and paying it on the due date...this still would mean I have defaulted? The default charge would make my go over my limit and is is so unfair.I will complain!
  • mrbecky1
    Options
    The manager has not phoned me back yet?
    It is a Vanquis card (sorry) and I have never been late with any payments before. I have a limit of £500, which I have never gone over.So, when they give you a message stating your payment has been processed, with an authorisation number and paying it on the due date...this still would mean I have defaulted? The default charge would make my go over my limit and is is so unfair.I will complain!
  • oceanscape
    oceanscape Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone who had this exact same problem with Vanquis. They couldn't get out of the £12 late payment fee, BUT it never showed on their credit report as a late payment. Good luck.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes its important that the money reaches your CC account by the due date, and it normally takes at least 2 working days for this to happen.
  • mrbecky1
    Options
    oceanscape wrote: »
    I know someone who had this exact same problem with Vanquis. They couldn't get out of the £12 late payment fee, BUT it never showed on their credit report as a late payment. Good luck.
    Thanks for your input and the 'good luck'!
    Thankfully,Vanquis have just rang and more or less, said what you have said. They told me it will not be on my file and all charges will be refunded because of my exemplary record. Naturally, I have arranged a direct debit for all minimum payments from now on.

Alan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family