Lysa's journey to 25 and Debt free!

edited 25 April 2009 at 9:30PM in Debt free diaries
16 replies 1K views
thriftymoothriftymoo Forumite
1.2K Posts
edited 25 April 2009 at 9:30PM in Debt free diaries
Hi all and welcome to my journey to being 25 and debt free!:beer:

I've just turned 24 on wednesday so my target is to be debt free by 22nd April 2010. :eek: I've had diaries on here before but they just seemed to get lost (ppl probably got bored reading them!)

Well a bit about me and why im here! I've been on the site for about 2 years now since my LBM. I think i roughly started out with £25000 of debt, i still havent got an exact figure for this. I do know that in the past year alone ive paid off roughly £6500 with a bit of help from my parents.

I'm single and have recently moved back in with my parents to get my debt paid off and get saved up for a house. I'm quite lucky that i dont have any dependants so all my money goes on my stuff.:rotfl:

I'm not going to put a SOA on here because its been very highly tuned via this website and i know its in the best shape possible hehe so i wont bore you more!

Whats my diary going to cover then? I want to live the best life i can over the next year but for as little cash as possible. I'm going to use this diary to record my spendings, savings, money making ideas, and anything else remotely interesting!

I want to try and do something money saving/making on a daily basis. I have no idea if i'll manage every day but im gonna try my best.

So where am i at now? as of 21st april 2009 (the day before my 24th birthday!!) i had £2780.09 debt on a car loan and I have a loan from parents of £7644 so a total of £10524 (including all interest)

My normal repayments would be £336 a month, but im paying off as much as possible every month. I'll update at the end of each month how much extra ive paid off and what ive got my debt down to.

Anyway i do hope i aint bored too many ppl, i'll be back soon with my first proper installment!:j
Aug £10 a day £0/£1000

Replies

• yukkibearyukkibear Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck with the debt busting. Keep up with the diary as it'll (hopefully) motivate you to keep going with the debt.

I'm ebaying everything not nailed down at the mo to get my debt paid off quickly lol
  • thriftymoothriftymoo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    yukkibear wrote: »
    Good luck with the debt busting. Keep up with the diary as it'll (hopefully) motivate you to keep going with the debt.

I'm ebaying everything not nailed down at the mo to get my debt paid off quickly lol

haha at ebaying, done that one already unfortunatly so know exactly what you mean!:p
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
    1.2K Posts
    One of my missions for the year is to try and find things to occupy me and get me out and about for cheap (less than a fiver).

Today i've been to the baltic (contemporary arts gallery) in Gateshead. Its free to get in so i only paid £2 to park in Newcastle and had a nice walk over via Newcastle's lush quayside. They had some good exhibits in the baltic (they change on a regular basis) and some were a bit wacky! All in all i had a good time th_sunsmilie.gif
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
  • PurplerosesPurpleroses Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi lysa, happy new diary!

Good luck with the debt busting!
  • jtr2803jtr2803 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    welcome (back!), you have done so well already it soumds as though your goal should be well in sight :D

The diary is definately a good way of keeping track of your spending, I have managed 3 NSD's in the last four days which is good going :T

Sure you have already thought about it but could you sign up for mystery shoppimg/surveys, every penny counts :beer:

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
    1.2K Posts
    Hi lysa, happy new diary!

Good luck with the debt busting!

thanks! think i might need it!:o
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
    1.2K Posts
    jtr2803 wrote: »
    welcome (back!), you have done so well already it soumds as though your goal should be well in sight :D

The diary is definately a good way of keeping track of your spending, I have managed 3 NSD's in the last four days which is good going :T

Sure you have already thought about it but could you sign up for mystery shoppimg/surveys, every penny counts :beer:
    Hiya!

I'm hoping that the target will be challenging but not entirely unrealistic! I'm writing all my spending down in a little notebook as well as on here so i can keep a track of everything money related. I already do surveys, MS, scratchcards, clicks, bp, etc but im always look for extra ways to make cash!

Another thing im doing is keeping a track of all my loyalty card points etc to see if i can save them up over the year. Also started saving all my copper in my COOL penguin money box and i've sealed that til 2010 too :T
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
  • urg123urg123 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Lysa

I was just thinking about you the other day (found a WW thread that you started a while ago).

Good luck with the debt repayments. It can be hard to stay motivated. I too have started a diary. I have to stay away from my DFW goals for another week as I MUST revise for an exam in a week's time. Once that has been done, I've really got to get my rear in gear!

Do you have minigoals?

Good luck,

urg x x
    1.2K Posts
    urg123 wrote: »
    Hi Lysa

I was just thinking about you the other day (found a WW thread that you started a while ago).

Good luck with the debt repayments. It can be hard to stay motivated. I too have started a diary. I have to stay away from my DFW goals for another week as I MUST revise for an exam in a week's time. Once that has been done, I've really got to get my rear in gear!

Do you have minigoals?

Good luck,

urg x x

Hiya!

Yep WW is sumthing i have to get back on board with too, still within 5 lb of my target weight (im a gold member now woo) but havent been in ages and want to lose some more weight... finding the motivation is very hard tho! belly.gif

one of my mini goals is to firstly pay off my car loan by nov this year which is 8 months early. then im going for the loan that i have from mum and dad. I'm paying off at least an extra £200 a month but its gonna have to be a lot more than to make my target.HSyes3.gif
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
    1.2K Posts
    well today has been a nsd which is always fab! I've been to the beach with dad, dog and grandad for a bit of free exercise. treadmill.gif Love living at the coast its fab for just popping down for a walk!

tomorrow i have a free golf lesson as the club my mum and dad play at run taster sessions for free to try and get more women to join. so hopefully tomorrow will be another nsd! HSgolf.gif
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals