🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My gas bill MUST be too high.

Options
ARTooD2
ARTooD2 Posts: 137 Forumite
I have just recieved a gas bill from scottish gas gor £972 for this quarter. Now I have asked around and done some calculation and this amount of gas would require out combi boiler to be running non stop as in constantly burning gas for 6 weeks which, as far as I Know, is impossible. I think that the problem may stem from the fact that we never gave them a reading when we moved in but this figure for gas is more than what british gas say the average family use in a year. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do. :confused:

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Are you saying that this is the first bill for this house and you are disputing the opening reading? Did you read the meters when you moved in and was this witnessed by letting or estate agent?
  • ARTooD2
    Options
    No...its not our first bill. And basically we didn't read the meters when we moved in. But its a 2 bedroom flat and I just cannot see us using 120% of the average consumption of a family for the year in the 9 months we've been here. We have had 2 previous bills of about 160-200 pounds each. Which is why I am convinced it can't be right. Obviously it is a mistake on our part that we didn't get a reading done with the landlord.
  • Magentasue
    Options
    Sounds as if previous bills have been underestimated and you're catching up. Have your meter readings on bills been actual (A) or estimated (E), and have you submitted your own readings if they've been estimated.

Do you have a metric (cubic metres) or imperial (cubic feet) meter - it will say on it.
  • ARTooD2
    Options
    I could believe that if it was less...but does anyone else pay nearly 1500 pounds in gas alone not counting electricity for less than a year in a two bed flat.
  • Magentasue
    Options
    Like I said, is it a metric or imperial meter?

Also, I believe meter readings are sometimes included on tenancy agreements - might be worth checking.
  • ARTooD2
    Options
    its a metric meter....i am aware of the conversion problem but it won't be that...our landlord is awful so i doubt he would have any record of it....oh well...looks like a payment plan it is....
  • Magentasue
    Options
    OK - so long as the meter units have been converted correctly. If you were being charged for an imperial meter, it would explain everything. Otherwise, it does look as if your supplier had incorrect opening readings supplied, presumably by the last tenant, or the landlord if the last bill was his responsibility. Can't see what you can do if you didn't take readings - someone else may see this tomorrow and have a bright idea of what you could do.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not much you can do without a read from when you moved in - it could be that the last 7 bills were estimates and now you are catching up, and having to cover for the under payment of the previous tenants.
    Would taking regular readings help you 'discover' a read for when you moved in? You could work out how much you are using per day and work backwards.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You wouldn't be the first to be 'caught' and end up paying for the previous tenant or landlord's gas I am afraid.
  • ARTooD2
    Options
    no one else got any smart ideas on what I can say to BG before I phone up to plead for a payment plan?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport