Just got our electricity bill, more than 6 times higher than last

Options
Chef1980uk
Chef1980uk Posts: 226 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
electricity.jpg

I'm in complete shock right now. For the past 12 months our payments have slowly increased and our debit was coming down as you can see. I was hoping this bill would show near enough 0 debit and as such have applied to switch to EON.

Having now got this bill which shows 3 times the kWh both night and day since my January bill i'm numbed as what to do. January's one was estimates but both Octobers and this one are actuals so i'm guessing they are right. Having been outside to check, our readings are already 300 higher for night and 200 higher for day and the bill is 2 days old.

I'm now expecting a monthly increase to around £250-£300 (from £142) but we have no chance of affording that.

What can i do? Firstly do i ring up EON and cancel the switch? I applied on the 7th April. Then what can i do next?

Comments

• Chef1980uk
    Options
    Oh the units used are:

NIGHT 6836kWh 4.9p
    DAY 3228kWh first 184 at 18p, next 3044 at 14.2p

Econ 7 because of our storage heaters.
  • rahl101
    rahl101 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Ok. Firstly if you applied on the 7th it may well be outside of their cooling off period so they may not allow you to cancel, these vary from 7-14 days so you MAY still have time.
    If it is outside the cooling off period they will more than likely hold you to your contract so will not allow you to stop the transfer.
    As to your old company blocking this, they can normally only do this if the debt is over a particular age (28days), if you've jsut recieved this bill then they will probably not try to stop you as the balance is new.
    I know you may not want to stay with your current supplier, but the terms of paying this balance would be easier if you agree to go back to them straight away. This would mean that EON would supply you for apporx 1 month and them you'd go back. Most suppliers will be willing to hold the cost of this bill for a period if your going back otherwise they'll expect payment in full. The best bet if you cannot cancel is ask your old supplier the terms they can offer for repayment.
    Also bare in mind, the reads on the bill will be for a little while ago, not two days so you probably haven't used that much in so little time.
    This seems to be mostly due to having paid only £87 as an estimate when you paid nearly £300+ the year before, it seems to be a catch up bill i'm afraid. :(
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Assuming they are quarterly bills and you are 'all electric' you have spent approx £1,070 in the last year.

That is well below the average spend of £1300 for gas and electricity - and gas is cheaper than electricity.

So in absolute terms you are not spending a large amount.

having a very low estimated bill in the first winter quarter is the reason for your high April bill.
  • Chef1980uk
    Options
    ok thanks. its 14 days cooling off, just read that in the letter we got today from them. So i cancel EON and ring up our supplier and see if they can hold off from increasing the monthly payments bearing in mind we're now entering the warmer months etc?
  • rahl101
    edited 16 April 2009 at 11:27AM
    Options
    They may allow that, but will probably have the arguement that you'd need to clear the balance in order to build up a credit to cover next winters usage.
    When you ask them to review, if you first of all ensure that they're basing it on their most recent prices which they'll have recently reduced.
    To give you a basic idea of how much they'll want, they SHOULD base it on the amount you've used in the last 12 months at the current unit prices and then they'll add any outstanding balance and divide by 12 (months). Based on it being a catch up they might be inclined to allow you to set the payments to cover at least the usage and look to pay the outstanding by an other method if you're unable to cope with a new payment to cover it all, but this will be up to them i'm afraid. Hopefully they'll be willing to be helpful under the current climate. As long as the payments cover usage you will possibly have some room to negotiate.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Chef1980uk,
    Who are you switching from? and how much do you feel you will save by going to EON?
  • Chef1980uk
    Options
    Thanks Rahl.

Cardew, Npower Econ 7 sign online 6 - EON Standard Electricity Plan. Saving £185 per year/825 clubcard points.
  • rahl101
    Options
    One thing you might want to be aware of, is that transfers are generally like for like, ie Econ 7 to Econ 7 or Standard Energy to Standard Enegy, you have to transfer as whatever style of meter you are currently being billed on and once the other supplier has taken over change to the price plan of choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure