Credit Card Fraud - what do I do now?

Options
sarah_elton
sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 8 April 2009 at 11:26AM in Credit cards
Just had a heart attack when a charge of £496.95 appeared on my Capital One pending transactions page - that wasn't me! (It was paid to Sports World)

Called Capital One who have closed my account, transferred legitimate transactions to a new account, and are investigating.

Firstly, I'm really scared I'll end up having to pay for it - has anyone else been in this situation? They said they would investigate and I had to fill in a form they were sending me declaring the transaction fraudulent. I shouldn't then have to pay it. :confused:

Secondly, what to do now? I've cut up the card in question. It's a really creepy feeling knowing someone out there has my name, address etc. Guess I can't change those though! I've deleted the card details from some online stores where they were stored, but then I figured since the card is now dead it doesn't really matter about doing that.

The fraudulent transaction was done online. In the last few weeks I've made online purchases at:

Amazon (UK)
Play.com
Dominos pizza
Paypal
myprotein.co.uk
Google checkout
snorestore.co.uk

Is there any way of finding out which was most likely to be insecure? Top of my list is play.com as I've heard so many stories from others on here about card fraud after using them. Next down would be myprotein or snorestore but only because they're smaller shops - I've used them both before and like them so I don't want to cast them in a bad light, but on the other hand I want to try and avoid this happening again in the future. :confused:

Comments

• clearing_out_my_pockets
    Options
    Hi - I also have a capital one card and had fraud on it almost 2 years ago. As with yourself, I filled in the form, they moved the genuine transactions over to a new account etc etc. Fraud was all sorted very quickly and all credit to Cap1, the transaction never showed on a statement. Some companies show the transaction on your statement, but put it in dispute.

For the record, I use my Cap1 card at play.com and have never had a problem. My problem came from a pertol station forecourt.
    Don't worry about typing out my username - Call me COMP
    (Unless you know my real name - in which case, feel free to use that just to confuse people!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure