Npower - Terms and conditions

Options
lisyloo
lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I have an ongoing complaint with Npower (now at deadlock).
They moved me off a fixed tarriff after I failed (apaprently) to meet their Terms and conditions for having direct debit and dual fuel.

After 8 weeks they have failed to point me at the specific terms and conditions although they have provided a promotional leaflet with those conditions on it.

So my question is - can they legally hold you to a promotional mailing (which I never got) if it isn't in the terms and conditions.

I need to decide whether to pursue it further (either court or energy ombudsman) or whether to accept their £50 offer.

Comments

  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    No, promotional material isn't binding on the customer.

    They need to produce the agreed ts + cs they are relying on.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheers.
    If there is any legislation you could point me to, that would be fantastic.

    I now need to do some maths to work our how well their offer comes out.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If it's worth pursuing, go down the ombudsman route which will cause them the headache of defending, and no costs whatever for you to pay, whatever the outcome.

    If the decision goes against them, then it is binding on them. Should the decision go against you, it is not binding on you, and you can then take it elsewhere if you want.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks.
    Yes, I have already realised that if I go to court for losses relating to one particular bill then that doesn't bind then to anything on future bills, whereas they will stand by any EO decision.

    I have had a very frustrating time with a builder before (problem with roof tiles) where I got a ruling in my favour from the NHBC.
    Second time (same problem) the builder still refused to act, despite the first ruling and we had to go through the same process again. We won of course.

    I will run some maths (luckily I have a degree) but I expect I'll be taking the case to the EO next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards