ATOS Healthcare question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
2 replies 827 views
abc123456abc123456 Forumite
352 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Are ATOS Healthcare used to medically examine claimants for both Industrial Injuries benefit and DLA?

I have had 2 medicals in the past year, one for Industrial Injuries and one for Incapacity benefit.
I also receive higher rate mobility DLA and about to submit further evidence due to a change in circumstances which may enable me to qualify for the care component of DLA.

The last time I saw the ATOS doctor (the same doctor both times), he said that he was well aware of my circumstances from the first medical and would not have seen me in person the second time but for an error in his paperwork).

I am just wondering if a claim for DLA Care would result in any medical examination request being dealt with by ATOS, and therefore the same doctor, who would hopefully sanction the fact that he had seen me previously and recently, and not require to see me again.

Therefore in summary, the question is..do ATOS do DLA medicals?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Hello there!

It's correct that if a medical is required, it's done by atos.

Not all claims for DLA will require a medical, and if your GP or consultant are aware of you care needs, then that should be the first port of call for the DWP.

I recommend you make an appointment with your GP, just out of courtesy, and let them know about your claim, and what your problems are. Likewise, if you have a consultant, let them know, if you are not due to see them, drop them a covering letter explaining.
    It will mean, if the DWP write, they have all the information to hand. From personal experience, I have always for them grateful for doing this.

Regards

Munchie
  • abc123456abc123456 Forumite
    352 Posts
    Hello there!

It's correct that if a medical is required, it's done by atos.

Not all claims for DLA will require a medical, and if your GP or consultant are aware of you care needs, then that should be the first port of call for the DWP.

I recommend you make an appointment with your GP, just out of courtesy, and let them know about your claim, and what your problems are. Likewise, if you have a consultant, let them know, if you are not due to see them, drop them a covering letter explaining.
    It will mean, if the DWP write, they have all the information to hand. From personal experience, I have always for them grateful for doing this.

Regards

Munchie

Thanks Munchie, much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals