Facts about an indefinite award?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
17 replies 1.9K views
browngirl_2browngirl_2 Forumite
24 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hi All,
I have recently been given an indefinite award of HRM and MRC. I have read that you sometimes get right payment letters I think it is.
Do you get re-newal forms every 5 years like I have done with IB for an indefinate award??
I realise the DWP like to keep a hand in causing stress and inconvience in your life, I just wondered what everyones experiences are in this situation.
Grateful for any information

Replies

• What used to be lifetime awards are now "indefinate awards" and as such have no end date,and for the first 12 months nothing will happen,however at anytime after that you can be processed under the "right payment protection" or RPP,which is basically to check you still qualify(or indeed that you may now need a higher rate)this is the same as a normal renewal.However in any one year only around 1% of claims undergo RPP,and then its usually where they expect claimants to have had a change in needs.
  • Thank you Woodbine for that very useful information
    My prognosis is stated as poor by EMP doctor, so hopefully I may have a few years rest from forms Mmmmmmmmm !!!
  • I get DLA; higher rate mobility indefinetley; it's been 6 yrs since I got that; I did the IB50 forms again.... this yr and got that for 5yrs because they have mucked it up before, :rolleyes2

I phoned them after 3yrs; their answer was that I could never be asked to resubmit; or it could be next yr :confused: whichever suited them

having just done IB50's which they where on about adding to the disableds money and I got nothing extra; I'd say they have an interrnal aduit that leaves the really disabled at the end of the list
  • I get DLA; higher rate mobility indefinetley; it's been 6 yrs since I got that; I did the IB50 forms again.... this yr and got that for 5yrs because they have mucked it up before, :rolleyes2

I phoned them after 3yrs; their answer was that I could never be asked to resubmit; or it could be next yr :confused: whichever suited them

having just done IB50's which they where on about adding to the disableds money and I got nothing extra; I'd say they have an interrnal aduit that leaves the really disabled at the end of the list

Hi MF
    Thanks for the information. Are you also on IB? re the IB50 to complete.
    Was it the DLA you checked up on after 3 years?
    I wasnt sent a IB50 for 15 years !! then got one 2 years ago:mad:
    However, they did give me another 5 years without medical which was a big
    relief :rotfl:
    But with the ESA coming in to replace it very soon, we are all facing a huge
    change......
  • TaBunnyTaBunny Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on indefinate award for over 4 years now and not had to do anymore paper work as yet
    :p
  • Sorry Browngirl, not my most coherant answer

I've been on Incapacity benefit since in came in, and sick pay before that; in all 17 yrs

I 1st got DLA 13 yrs ago, for 3 yrs, but they just kept paying it, so when they found out and I reapplied I didn't really expect to get it

I had IB50 forms in Nov, and got again for 5 yrs clear, no medical, I'vve only had 1 IB50 medical, ever :)
  • browngirl wrote: »
    Hi MF
    Thanks for the information. Are you also on IB? re the IB50 to complete.
    Was it the DLA you checked up on after 3 years?
    I wasnt sent a IB50 for 15 years !! then got one 2 years ago:mad:
    However, they did give me another 5 years without medical which was a big
    relief :rotfl:
    But with the ESA coming in to replace it very soon, we are all facing a huge
    change......

I woudlnt worry too much about the change to esa,it could take upto 3 years for most people to be moved over,and now the dwp are so busy it may take even longer
  • Keep talking Woodbine I like what you are saying....Thank you for all the posts
  • scooby1001scooby1001 Forumite
    295 Posts
    I have had an indefinate award of dla for 6 years now and in that time i have had two reviews and medicals only for nothing to be changed. I have been told that they won't be reviewing it again as it is obvious things are not going to change but i don't hold my breath on that one. I think that having an indefinate award is more stressful than having a fixed award as you just never know when you are going to get the dreaded form again although you are safe for 12 months but then you are fair game.
  • Hi Scooby
    Without seeming nosey, is your condition one that they feel could change for the better in time?
    My EMP wrote that I have had a slow and progressive decline and the prognosis for the future was poor. How jolly I know, but was hoping with that verdict they may leave me alone for a while.
    But from what you have said maybe not:confused:
    Thanks for info
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs