chrohns disease

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
5 replies 1K views
vfallows83vfallows83 Forumite
273 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
hi there i was diagnosed with crohns disease 4 years ago and applyed for dla but was told that i didnt qualify for it.
i was just wondering if anyone else on here has crohns and if so, have they been successful in claiming dla.
they dont seem to see it as a disability even tho it is a 'disease' and is also life threating.
thanks in advance
vicky
xxx
2013 wins - Dora magical doll and horse, emergency beer box

Replies

• GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Vicky, it isn't the diagnosis or the prognosis that matters, it's the care and mobility needs of the applicant. Do you have any care needs as a result of Crohns? i.e. can you wash/dress yourself, prepare a meal, get to and from the toilet ok etc? Also can you walk and if so how far? Do you need supervised when you're out walking? Do you need motivated to care for yourself? That's what DLA is about.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• Cat695Cat695 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    I have crohns disease and get nothing.....I'm also in the Army

it all depends on how bad you actually are with it. it seems then when I stopped taking my medicine I actually got better rather than worse....though sadly still no cure

A friend of mine had crohns very bad (bowl split and had quite a bit removed) yet she still doesn't get anything.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • Hi my dad has lots of medical problems and one of them is crohns disease, he suffers every single day with it he gets higher rate dla for it, i also applied for a grant and had a lovely extension with a downstairs bedroom shower n toilet fitted and its the best thing that weve had done it has made life a little easier, crohns sufferers keep tryin!:T
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    hutchy78 wrote: »
    Hi my dad has lots of medical problems and one of them is crohns disease, he suffers every single day with it he gets higher rate dla for it, i also applied for a grant and had a lovely extension with a downstairs bedroom shower n toilet fitted and its the best thing that weve had done it has made life a little easier, crohns sufferers keep tryin!:T

As others have said it is how well a person manages their daily life that is the indicator for DLA, not the disease itself. If your Father's medical conditions combined mean he cannot fully care for himself then yes DLA will be paid as appropriate for the level of assistance, and whether it is daily or overnight as well.

Crohn's is not one of the admittedly few chronic illnesses that gives an automatic entitlement to benefit. Like some of the others have stated many, possibly most sufferer's manage a full active life, I work with several people who have it and my own cousin holds down a full time job with no more sick leave than her colleagues.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • my sister suffered with Crohn's disease ,since she was 22 ,
    was in constant pain all her life,ended up in icu for 3 months,
    she only got dla mobility , but no care dla
    i lost my lovely sister last march aged 54,
    so even tho she deserved the care dla she wasnt awarded it,
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants