18185 rates

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
2 replies 1.5K views
NicholasNicholas Forumite
629 Posts
Part of the Furniture
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Don't get me wrong, it's great to have cheap mobile rates ie 5p a minute, but I was checking on a few places, and it's only 0.5p minute to ring a mobile in the USA.

So let me get this right....if I was to ring someone say in California, over 5000 miles away would only cost me 5p (+4p connection charge) for a 10 minute call, yet if I was to ring someone's mobile 50 feet away it would cost 50p (+4p connection charge) for the same time. 10 times as much. Crazy:confused:

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's simply because they have a different mobile charging system in the USA & Canada - the subscriber pays to receive the call.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • NicholasNicholas Forumite
    629 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Thanks - I never knew that. If that's the case, I prefer it the way it is here. Sounds 10 times as bad as someone trying to reverse the charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals