help! need to cut down on phone bills!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
9 replies 742 views
aliyahaliyah Forumite
143 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
hi, wonder if any of you experts may be able to help...

we are with talktalk for home phone and pay 9.99 a month for unlimited anytime uk calls. we still have a monthly bill of about 45.00 (calls to mobiles!) plus the 10.49 to BT for line rental.

we have 3 teenagers who make several calls to mobiles each per day :mad: . they only last a few seconds each (just to leave a msg asking friends to call them back!) but we get charged the connection charge which all adds up!

am trying to change internet provider from wanadoo to pipex hoping to benefit from the free 1000 minutes for phone calls per month plus unlimited broadband for 19.99, but the changeover is taking so long, i have had time to realise this may not be the best deal for us!

any tips would be great. have read about 1899 (?) and the others. what would you recommend for us?

thanks all, aliyah
:A

Replies

• This is a differcult one to advise on as no-one on the forum has access to your bills, to see where the savings can be made.

My best advise is to take the time to go through your bills and to compare prices with other providers. Don't just go by one bill, compare a few of your bills to make sure you have more accurate figures to go by.

Your find that its not difficult to do. The previous post by pricefighter might help. If you have some figures to go by, post them and i'm sure that the people on this forum will be able to help further.
    If saved £2710 and only spent the interest (Based on a return of 5%), you would have enough money to pay your TV Licence every year. Saving you £7452.50 over a period of 55 years, based on you buying a license from the age of 20 until your 75 at a cost of £135.50.
  • topherxp wrote:
    The previous post by pricefighter might help.

I suggest that if you read the the thread i have linked to, it would be more then helpful to anyone interesting in reducing their phone bills.Irrespective of whether they give a breakdown of their bills or not.I dont know about you but it seems to me to cover every angle!
    PF.
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyah wrote:
    hi, wonder if any of you experts may be able to help...

we are with talktalk for home phone and pay 9.99 a month for unlimited anytime uk calls. we still have a monthly bill of about 45.00 (calls to mobiles!) plus the 10.49 to BT for line rental.

we have 3 teenagers who make several calls to mobiles each per day :mad: . they only last a few seconds each (just to leave a msg asking friends to call them back!) but we get charged the connection charge which all adds up!

am trying to change internet provider from wanadoo to pipex hoping to benefit from the free 1000 minutes for phone calls per month plus unlimited broadband for 19.99, but the changeover is taking so long, i have had time to realise this may not be the best deal for us!

any tips would be great. have read about 1899 (?) and the others. what would you recommend for us?

thanks all, aliyah

Apart from reading the post by Heinz, linked by pricefighter, I think you need to consider how much of the £9.99 per month you actually use that you are paying to TalkTalk bearing in mind you are paying this amount every month even if you are on holiday.

Obviously if you still have a bill of £45 for calls that is a lot of calls that are non geographical or mobiles that aren't included in your £9.99 which would indicate that you probably aren't utilising that payment.

As regards the change from Wanadoo to Pipex, again I would think you should look into what calls are covered by the 1,000 minutes, is it any calls or just 01/02 calls? And are they really free in that could you get bb for say £15 a month which then means you are paying £5 a month for the "free" calls.

I would certainly recommend you sign for https://www.call1899.co.uk and https://www.call18185.co.uk and check out the Call Checker for the cheapest rates both UK and International.

Also read Martin's articles here and here for broadband.
  • At the time, I hadn't read the post by Heniz.

I have just read it and it will help.

Personally myself, I use Homecall for line rental and calls (using discount dial for mobile calls). But at the sametime my phonebill is very low (My latest bill is £13.95 for line rental and calls) as I don't use the phone much.
    If saved £2710 and only spent the interest (Based on a return of 5%), you would have enough money to pay your TV Licence every year. Saving you £7452.50 over a period of 55 years, based on you buying a license from the age of 20 until your 75 at a cost of £135.50.
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats interesting that you work for BT but have your line rental with Homecall?

icon7.gif
  • Pipex do charge for the 3000 minutes bolt on. They also say hidden away in their T&C

When calling 01 and 02 numbers you will be limited to a maximum of 120 free minutes per call. After 120 minutes or once you have exceeded your free call quota you will charged PIPEX standard rates for each additional minute.
    PF.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The smaller calls packages on Pipex- 500 to 2000 minutes - are free. Mobiles not included. Nor 0870, 0845 etc, which are higher than BT tariffs There is a connect fee for chargeable calls on Pipex, so I'd suggest use 18185 for mobile and 0870, much as the other suggestions, and 1899 for the odd landline call that you expect to be long.

I think mainly you need to persuade the family to cut down on calls to mobiles, but maybe you could get a contract with cashback and a large chunk of off-peak minutes ...
  • aliyahaliyah Forumite
    143 Posts
    thanks for all the replies....

i think i may need to look at the small print on the pipex contract.

it is now 6 weeks since we handed over the MIG code - we had the acceptance email, were sent the passwords and user name, then lost our wanadoo connection.

when i queried we were told that the exchange of companies was going through and that there must be a fault with wanadoo...

after nearly a month of waiting with no internet :eek: i called pipex again, to be casually told that the migration had failed because wanadoo didnt recognise the code they had provided :mad:

nobody from pipex had bothered to tell us and we are now back at square 1 (although at least we have the internet back!) so if this is the norm with pipex, it would have to be a cracking deal to overide the customer service issues!!

will definately check out all the info and sites provided. will post back with a decision

please keep posting with advise - all very much appreciated - as you can tell, i dont have a clue!!!

aliyah
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals