credit cards! :)

Options
ok here goes! . . . . . .

i'm going to be 18 in like a few days!!! i am soo credit card obsessed! dont have any yet and im think that yes! two or three would be good.

is there any advice as to what ones? basically im a student and have an ok part time job! i work for a bank Abbey! (yes i know , but it pays the bills) and i earn ok wages, and have a student loan and bursary so financially i am doing really well, however, I just also want to know long lone after i am 18 b4 i apply for a credit card? can any1 help?

thanks

B :P

Comments

• cash-magnet
    cash-magnet Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    "i am soo credit card obsessed!"

That is a worrying statement to read. Why do you need to get more than one to start off your financial life, assuming you could find 3 card companies willing to give you 3 cards?

I wouldn't advise you rush out and apply for 3 all at once. That may just scare the credit card companies when they see 3 applications all at once from someone with no credit history, and all 3 might turn you down. You now start off your financial life with 3 declines on your file. Getting any credit will have just got a whole lot harder for you.

Maybe get an Abbey credit card from your bank and use it wisely for the first 6 months to build up a solid credit base. I am sure your employee will give you a better deal than most other places and I think that would be your best place to start.

Good luck, and don't go on a mad spending spree in the first week and end up paying for it for the next 10 years!
    "Click the pennies. Collect the pounds."
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think you understand what the implications of having a credit card are

if you somehow ended up with 2 or 3 you would be back posting in a few months saying you can't pay them off....

Maybe you should stick to one at the start if you really must get one - try your bank (wherever you bank or Abbey) first as they will have some info on you already so will be more likely to give you a card
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you a troll because this is the most ridiculous post ever?!
    batman18 wrote: »
    and i earn ok wages, and have a student loan and bursary so financially i am doing really well

Earning an "ok" wage and having a loan and bursary does not mean you are doing well financially. The bursary is for your education and the loan will eventually need to be paid back. It is not disposable income.

Why do you want two or three cards at your age? Are you actively wanting to get into debt?

And why are you "credit card obsessed"? Credit cards are purely practical items that make it easier to manage money. They are not things that are there to get obsessed or excited about.

If you are for real you are going to end up on the debt board in no time.
  • Miller_3
    Miller_3 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Ok here goes

You are on the road rack up a load of credit with your very poor attitude towards credits cards.

Your parents will not be to impressed when they have tobail you out.

If you have parents that are not up to their eyeballs in debt I would suggest that you talk to them straight away.

If your parents have debt ask them where they went wrong?

:confused:

Confused - Reading

i'm going to be 18 in like a few days!!! i am soo credit card obsessed! dont have any yet and im think that yes! two or three would be good.

is there any advice as to what ones? basically im a student and have an ok part time job! i work for a bank Abbey! (yes i know , but it pays the bills) and i earn ok wages, and have a student loan and bursary so financially i am doing really well, however, I just also want to know long lone after i am 18 b4 i apply for a credit card? can any1 help?

thanks

:rolleyes: Miller
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

thanks

Yawn Yawn ! Nobody could seriously have that attitude ! Just another bored kid with nothing else better to do !
    I'd possibly even believe you worked in a bank if you could actually manage to string a comprehensible or intelligible sentence together, rather than one of a 12 year old !
  • CashRequired
    Options
    You clearly shouldn't get one. Getting into debt is nothing to get excited about.
    DFD: 21st June 2012
  • williham
    williham Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    It most certainly is something to get excited about, credit cards are amazing. You only need one to start with, and go for one with cashback. If you're turned down for one with cashback then go for a classic card with your bank account for 6 months or so then apply again.
    Obviously this advice doesn't apply if you want to get in to debt, but if used properly then you'll be better off.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I also had my first credit card when I was 18, like you. 3 MONTHS after it was issued, it was passed to their debt collection department, and i paid it off through CapQuest last year. I am now 28. :o

DONT DO IT!!!!

And in my experience, if you run into trouble with it you could kiss goodbye to your job - banks dont like that sort of thing. I worked for Abbey when I was a student and lost my job when Santander took them over - in this current climate nothing is certain in the banking industry...

And Miller, not all debt is bad debt. Do you class having a mortgage as 'going wrong???' Mortgage is still debt.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • dhassen
    dhassen Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is a joke......

wonder what the OP is studying.... not English obviously :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport