🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Secured Credit Cards

Options
Has anyone got or been offered a secured credit card, I don't mean a pre paid card. Thinking more vanquis or capital one.

Any info please?? :beer:

Comments

• dhassen
    dhassen Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    Secured on what? I've never heard of a secured credit card..... doesn't mean they don't exist though?!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Thejagman
    Thejagman Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Secured as in you put a security deposit of say £500.00 in up front and the cc company give you a card with a £500.00 limit. Quite common in the states I believe.

The Jagman
  • fairydiamond
    Options
    So if you don't pay, they just take your £500 and clear the balance. Good for some people I guess. Never heard of secured credit cards before.
    My Wins: £150 Next giftcard. Rimmel Lip Gloss, Benefit Lipstick and lipgloss. Rimmel Day2Night mascara. Elizabeth Arden Body Treatment Cream. Big Bang Theory T-shirt, Make Up Set, St Tropez Kit, Clipper Mug Tea Set, Rosie Project Book, Kwik Fit MOT. Benefit Make Up Set Dior Star Foundation. VIP Concert Tickets & Meet & Greet with The Saturdays
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    Thejagman wrote: »
    Secured as in you put a security deposit of say £500.00 in up front and the cc company give you a card with a £500.00 limit. Quite common in the states I believe.

The Jagman

Secured CC's is a US thing, not a UK one. In the UK similar types of accounts exist called pre-paid cards, i.e. you pay 500 and you get 500 limit.

Other than that, MBNA used to do one where you pay 100 and 6 month later they convert into a normal credit card account and refund the deposit but others have moaned saying it isn't that good.

HTH :beer:
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Capital One used to do this in the UK but no more. There have been a few people who have got an MBNA card by paying a £100 deposit and getting a credit limit of £500. To get this you have to apply for a standard card and you are given a phone number to ring.
  • Thejagman
    Thejagman Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Just read on the living with BR forum that Flybe are giving cards to discharged BRs ?? Anybody got one ?

The Jagman
  • sscott5581
    sscott5581 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thejagman wrote: »
    Just read on the living with BR forum that Flybe are giving cards to discharged BRs ?? Anybody got one ?

The Jagman

I am a discharged bankrupt (although I have been for a number of years, my bakruptcy drops of my files May this year) and I managed to get a Fly Be card in October with £800 CL
  • Nomoredebtnow
    Options
    NO luck with Flybe
    Thank you for applying for a Flybe Card.
    We will review your application and contact you in writing with a decision within 7-10 working days. Your application reference number is given below. Please write this down and quote it if you need to contact us.
    Discharged nearly 15yrs and happen again😓
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you say "no luck"? It could easily end up being an acceptance! At least it wasn't a straight denial.
  • Nomoredebtnow
    Options
    Been turn down by Vanquis few months ago like this.
    Discharged nearly 15yrs and happen again😓
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family