🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit Card Details Not Safe at Indian Call Centres

Options
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7953401.stm

This is something I have been very concerned about for some time and am pleased to see the BBC featuring the investigation prominently.

I really, REALLY worry about card details being sent offshore and wish the mainstream media would highlight this more.
Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402 :)

Comments

• treliac
    treliac Posts: 4,524 Forumite
    Options
    I agree and had heard about it some time ago. It's going out on the Beeb news at the moment.
  • MrFonzerelli
    Options
    The credit / debit card industry needs to adopt transaction specific pin codes.
    Maybe it's deemed expensive at present.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The credit / debit card industry needs to adopt transaction specific pin codes.
    Maybe it's deemed expensive at present.

actually, I think our italian bank does give pic codes which last three days for credit/debit to use on line. you can only use that cc on line. you also get pin codes from a device given to you for online banking, and your access to online bank account is granted through the pincode given on this device and lasts only 72 hours. I call the pin code device the magic 8, because its a bit like that. :)
  • MrFonzerelli
    Options
    actually, I think our italian bank does give pic codes which last three days for credit/debit to use on line. you can only use that cc on line. you also get pin codes from a device given to you for online banking, and your access to online bank account is granted through the pincode given on this device and lasts only 72 hours. I call the pin code device the magic 8, because its a bit like that. :)

Those Italians are clever folk:). Thanks, I really need to get myself a card like that! I recall reading a good article on ID theft by Frank Abagnale (for anyone that missed it). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4754733.stm
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Those Italians are clever folk:). Thanks, I really need to get myself a card like that! I recall reading a good article on ID theft by Frank Abagnale (for anyone that missed it). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4754733.stm

yep, apart from the internet device is usually on a keyring. The number of idiots who also have an address on their keyring is astounding.

So for some pickpocketer, to get device, go to address, find out name of person from the NAME you have to have on your door bell:rotfl: and use the stolen device to empty out account. Most people don't put the device on their keyring, put you know that some buffali will be doing just that :)
  • Degenerate
    Degenerate Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Options
    They should revise data protection law to explicitly transfer full liability to the UK company when a foreign contractor is used - no excuses, no defense, you shared customer data with this company outside of the UK jurisdiction, you take 100% of the blame for what they did with it. Then make the penalties absolutely swinging. Something like 10% of net profits for each individual incident in a given year would be a fitting deterrent. See how the economics of Indian call centres stacks up then.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    In the UK, Cahoot do a 'web card'. Their program runs on your PC and generates a new 16 digit card number and check code, valid for 1 month, with a spending limit you set to be the same as the value of the item you're buying.

Cahoot then link the spend back to your plastic card for payment, but the web-site operator never gets to see your full card details.
  • bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    In the UK, Cahoot do a 'web card'. Their program runs on your PC and generates a new 16 digit card number and check code, valid for 1 month, with a spending limit you set to be the same as the value of the item you're buying.

Cahoot then link the spend back to your plastic card for payment, but the web-site operator never gets to see your full card details.
    i remember reading about this a while ago but later forgot about which company offered this facility.

thanks for the info. will look into if they still provide this facility to new customers.

what happens when you are travelling and dont have the software on your computer? can the card be still used the traditional way?
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Options
    Ivobank also have a virtual card system
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income