Replacing Lead - Pre 1953 Building

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
3 replies 1.1K views
shoggishoggi Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
1st Time poster.

My property is a Victorian Terrace of 6 building with a lead/galvanized shared supply pipe feeding into all the properties at 'T' points of a single shared supply which runs to TheWater Boards Stopcock beside the road.

I have asked for a new separate connection to the Mains via the front of the property which is unfeasible dur to the cost.

I did a little snooping on the internet I came across the following a couple of times;-

" Fundamentally it boils down to liability, if the homeowner wants to replace their existing pipe with MDPE they will have to pay for the entire system up to the junction with the mains supply; this is unless the pipe work within the property is pre 1935, any pipes before this period will be replaced at the expense of the water board."

Now , I don't know if that statement is accurate or correct but I guess the water boards are not going to willingly inform the Public of it.

I contacted Offwat which although helpful did not know the above and could offer no light upon the matter.

So the question is , Do the water boards have a obligation under law to replace lead pipe WITHIN the property ( as stated ) that is seldom know?? Is it a by-law or something that is ue to them taking over the network from 1935??

I realize I may be clutching at straws here , but its quite specific , PRE 1935 buildings??

Can anyone PLEASE shed some ligh on the matter??

Many Thanks.

Replies

• never heard of this before, I think this is a case of chinese whispers. They could be getting confused with the rules regarding sewerage systems. Basically the householders is responsible for the sewerage pipes up until the point it enters the main sewer, unless the house was built before a certain year, which could be on of the years you mention.

Definately no such rule regarding lead pipes though.
  • eeeeeeeeeeeeee Forumite
    459 Posts
    from 1937 , under the public health act, your local water board have adopted all waste water drains that run from your property . and HAVE to maintian them . unfortunately the same does not apply to your clean water connection . some water boards will supply the pipework and the connection for free up to your boundary from the live main , however you would still need to remove and replace the lead pipe wher it runs to your property . offwat wouldn't be intrested in giving you any advise on this matter , as the matter is deemed as private , as it is your responsibility. hope this helps .. suzanne
    NSD = 3/31 spent = £97.88/31 groceries = £26/31 fuel =2/31
    various debts = /£14366.89:eek:secured loan = /£13887.21 full settlement figuremortgage = /£64,342.45
    ime not debt free ,but ime trying JANUARY BIG FINANCIAL FREEZE (JBFF)no35
    proud owner of a british bullog puppies due end of jan2013
  • eeeeeeeeeeeeee Forumite
    459 Posts
    i think where you may be getting confused is the difference between your waste water and your clean water supply
    NSD = 3/31 spent = £97.88/31 groceries = £26/31 fuel =2/31
    various debts = /£14366.89:eek:secured loan = /£13887.21 full settlement figuremortgage = /£64,342.45
    ime not debt free ,but ime trying JANUARY BIG FINANCIAL FREEZE (JBFF)no35
    proud owner of a british bullog puppies due end of jan2013
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs