Passport nearly out of date

Options
Does anyone know of a website which would have a list of countries that require visitors to have a minimum of six months (or whatever) passport validity?
Also how long does it take to get a passport renewed these days? (Postal)

Comments

• cundall
    cundall Posts: 859 Forumite
    Options
    If you search you will find that it takes around 1 week or less. Posted only a few days ago
  • Iona_Penny
    Options
    Don't know of a web site that list passport expiry requirements, but I do know that for travel to any EU country it can expire on the day you return and be OK to use (believe some think this not so !)

The PO check your passport form for £8 and then send it off and it did seem to be just over a week; check requirements for photos when you renew, for my daughter they returned photos twice!
  • monkeyspanner
    Options
    Iona_Penny wrote:
    Don't know of a web site that list passport expiry requirements, but I do know that for travel to any EU country it can expire on the day you return and be OK to use (believe some think this not so !)

The PO check your passport form for £8 and then send it off and it did seem to be just over a week; check requirements for photos when you renew, for my daughter they returned photos twice!

Although I understood this was the case my Czech (part of EU) guidebook says minimum 3 months validity so maybe its not that straightforward. The passport office will add up to 9 months of unexpired time on your passport to a new one and renewal times are quite short at present.
  • debs626
    debs626 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    I always thought that u had to have 6 month left on your pasport for insurance reasons.

looks like I am wrong

thanks ............. can get a bit more milage out of mine before it expires in october :-)
    MSE:-)MoneySpendingExpert (-:
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    debs626 wrote:
    I always thought that u had to have 6 month left on your pasport for insurance reasons.

looks like I am wrong

thanks ............. can get a bit more milage out of mine before it expires in october :-)

If you have the time, you might as well get it extended now. The Passport Office will carry over up to 9 months of validity anyway. You should get it sorted while you can.

Its a slow time at the Passport Office at present so turn around times are a bit less. Come summer May-July it will be become busier as people start renewing for summer hols.

The average turnaround time is 3 weeks, however, like said, at present the turnaround is 1 week.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello peat

The link to the previous thread Current passport times should help.

Kind Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure