online fraud

Options
If i buy an item for £50 with my halifax credit card on the internet and the site than closes down is this fraud and can i get my money back ?

Comments

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    It depends - if the site never intended to ship the goods - then that's fraud but if they went bankrupt - that's bad luck.

If that's the case - you become a creditor to the company and they owe you goods - but whether you'll get them or not (or even all of you money back) is another matter.

If the former is the case (e.g. they never intended to ship) then providing you paid THAT company - you can probably complain to the credit card provider and see what you get - but if you paid via paypal then you need to make your dispute with paypal - not your credit card provider.

M.
  • dylanuk
    dylanuk Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    You won't be protected under section 75 because section 75 only covers purchases costing from £100 to £30,000.

Section 75 is basically what all credit cards offer that protects your purchases against non-supply from the supplier. It effectively holds the credit card company equally liable and so you can get your money back from the credit card company if you're unable to get it back from the supplier.

Here's some more reading material: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases and http://www.credit-card-comparison-online.co.uk/articles/section-75-purchase-protection-cover.html

As for getting cover for a purchase of £50, I'm not sure... even if you had a credit card with added purchase insurance (which the halifax card doesn't have by the way) it still would probably have a minimum purchase amount.

American Express have a £50 excess on their purchase protection insurance. Virgin still do purchase protection I think, their minimum is £50 - might be worth a look (I think it might be mostly against theft or accidental damage though).

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport