New Post Advanced Search

Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide

1.8K replies 659.5K views
1177178179180181183»

Replies

• BulliJudd4BulliJudd4 Forumite
    8 posts
    First Post
    I'm going to go ahead with installation of an ASHP to replace the current setup of ancient storage heaters. I'm currently on a Total Heating Total Control (i.e. same as Economy 7) arrangement, whereby there are two supplies to the property (one the off-peak supply to the heating, the other the standard supply - there's a meter for each).

Can someone please explain the implications of this installation on the supply and meters?

Will I continue needing two supplies (one for the new system, the other for the standard electricity supply?) Or will it all go through one meter? I assume the installer will explain and carry out all the associated work, but I'd like to understand it in advance. It'll also be good to be fully equipped with knowledge when I contact my supplier to explain what's happening and change tariff accordingly (or ditch them for someone else!) 

Thanks
  • sleuth77sleuth77 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Has any of the posters on this particular forum replaced an ASHP with a more energy efficient model and was able to claim the RHI incentives.My Inherited ASHP is 12 yrs old and I’ve had numerous issues with it,I’m thinking of biting the bullet and starting afresh.Many thanks in advance.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to go ahead with installation of an ASHP to replace the current setup of ancient storage heaters. I'm currently on a Total Heating Total Control (i.e. same as Economy 7) arrangement, whereby there are two supplies to the property (one the off-peak supply to the heating, the other the standard supply - there's a meter for each).

Can someone please explain the implications of this installation on the supply and meters?

Will I continue needing two supplies (one for the new system, the other for the standard electricity supply?) Or will it all go through one meter? I assume the installer will explain and carry out all the associated work, but I'd like to understand it in advance. It'll also be good to be fully equipped with knowledge when I contact my supplier to explain what's happening and change tariff accordingly (or ditch them for someone else!) 

Thanks
    A lot depends on how you'll be using the system and other stuff in the house.  I find that as our unit runs virtually 24hrs/day (not all the time but under the control of thermostats etc) and we set back the night temps by 2-3 degrees then we use most of our energy during the day and evenings and very little overnight (unless it's everso cold). Based on that I've got the cheapest  single rate tariff that I can get - 11.5p/kwh.

The unit uses very little energy during the summer months - about 2kwh a day to produce our hot water but it can look a bit hairy on a very cold day in Jan or Feb when it's heating all day we've managed to use 50-60kwh in a day.  Our total electricity consumption in an average years is around 7000kwh and about half (3500kwh) is used for heating/hotwater and the other half for everything else. So you need to see how you'll be using it all to evaluate whether a multirate tariff would suit you.
    Bear in mind that you dont use an ASHP like a normal boiler - they are much more economical when running with low flow temperatures and aren't really suited to on-off, morning & evening  blats like a boiler. Running it longer with lower temperatures is much better so you'll need larger radiators than usual. Be careful that the system is designed to avoid using the boost/back-up heater. The ideal flow temp is around 40 degrees and most heatpumps won't go above 50-55 degrees without using the back-up heater. 
    We have a flow between 30-40 degrees (with underfloor heating) and our hot water temperature is set to 45 degrees, with a short boost once a week to 60 to sterilise against Legionnaires Disease

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    sleuth77 said:
    Has any of the posters on this particular forum replaced an ASHP with a more energy efficient model and was able to claim the RHI incentives.My Inherited ASHP is 12 yrs old and I’ve had numerous issues with it,I’m thinking of biting the bullet and starting afresh.Many thanks in advance.
    I think you'll have to look very carefully at the OFGEM site to check the rules on RHI to see if they do cover replacement installations. I'm guessing that if yours is not registered for RHI you could probably qualify as a new installation, but it may be more complex if it's already registered or you or the previous owner got a grant for the initial installation or RHI payments.

RHI for ASHP only started in April 2014, we had ours installed in 2010 but didn't get a grant and so were eligible for RHI. Some earlier installations could claim a grant but then weren't able to claim RHI.

IMO it is more complicated than it really needs to be, so you need to check the rules very carefully ( I still have to submit a declaration every year to continue receiving  my RH!
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • sleuth77sleuth77 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie

sleuth77 said:
    I think you'll have to look very carefully at the OFGEM site to check the rules on RHI to see if they do cover replacement installations. I'm guessing that if yours is not registered for RHI you could probably qualify as a new installation, but it may be more complex if it's already registered or you or the previous owner got a grant for the initial installation or RHI payments.

RHI for ASHP only started in April 2014, we had ours installed in 2010 but didn't get a grant and so were eligible for RHI. Some earlier installations could claim a grant but then weren't able to claim RHI.

IMO it is more complicated than it really needs to be, so you need to check the rules very carefully ( I still have to submit a declaration every year to continue receiving  my RH!
    Thanks for the reply matelodave.I did email ofgem with various questions but as of yet no reply I will wait till things calm down and try ringing them hopefully I’ll get some kind of incentive.Sleuth