Selling my son's (long) hair

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
4 replies 919 views
Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
43.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
I'm not sure if this should be here, or on 'Anything else', but at least if you all laugh at me here I can move it over there later.

So, not long ago DS3 had his below-the-waist length hair cut, and he kept the hair with a view to selling it. He says he's done a google without finding anything terribly helpful, so he's asked me to help him.

It is 'virgin' hair, ie never coloured or permed or straightened, and if there are any traces of drugs and cigarettes in it he won't need the money because I'll kill him first. Can't vouch that it's free of alcohol. It is beautifully straight and smooth, not coarse, and what my hairdresser used to call 'dark blonde'.

If there are charities which can use real hair to make wigs, I might consider parting with my ponytail, although that's over 15 years old now, and I also have DS1's ponytail, cut off within the last couple of years. He might either sell or donate his, as he generally feels either more generous or less skint than DS3. Again, these are both collections of 'virgin' hair, untouched by chemicals, straight and smooth, 'dark blonde'.
Still knitting!
Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!

Replies

• mumofjusttwomumofjusttwo Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    for charities there is a place called "lock of love" but there have been mentioned than rather giving the wigs to children with cancer they still charge them £1000.

I did do a search a while ago, as I am looking at giving my hair to charity, I will go and see if I can find some info about it.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=5357

as mentioned this also states that people aren't given human hair wigs for free.
    http://www.locksoflove.org/
    January Grocery 11/374
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sue, I've had to change my mental picture of your boys :rotfl:

Why don't you give cancerbackup a ring - what they don't know about hair loss and how to disguise the fact ain't worth knowing and they just might know of a home which could put pre-loved hair to very good use.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Errata wrote: »
    Sue, I've had to change my mental picture of your boys :rotfl:
    :rotfl: So did I! We have a few (very few!) good family photos, with the oldest and youngest in all their long-haired glory: DS2 has always had me clipper it off when his fringe starts getting in his eyes! But then DS1 had all his shaved off for charity, since when he lets me clipper it all off, and now DS3 has a short but shaggy look which reminds me of Sean Bean!

You'll appreciate that it is now much easier to hear what DS3 is saying: he used to shake it all forward and mutter into it. :mad:

I will see what cancerbackup say about this. But I still think DS3 is going to want to sell it.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • PM me if you want a commercial contact. But I think most users of hair want continuity of supply. Convents are particularly valued as sources for this reason.
    Student of the science of beauty
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals