CCJ payments

Hi everyone,

One of my relatives has come to me for some advice but I have no idea how best to advise her and was going to tell her to call the national debt line for some help.

The relative has CCJs going back to 2004. From what I can gauge, no action has been taken since the were issued as they have moved twice in the last few years. In total there are 6 CCJs totalling about 3-4k (figures yet to be confirmed but definitely no more than 5k).

Do they have to pay the whole amount of the judgment for it to be satisfied or can they offer 25% say and negotiate?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• no one able to advise?
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bumping this again ... :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • GeorgeUKGeorgeUK Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    They can offer a settlement figure, but the CCJ will still remain on their credit file for 6 years from the judgement date.

If the offer is rejected, they may need to start making the payments set out by the court, so they may need to be prepared for that.

They should only make these arangements in writing ond not over the phone. This is very important. They will need written confirmation that it is a "full and final" settlement payment, not a "partial" settlement and the CCJ be marked as satisfied.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • Thank you for your reply - I have advised to always get everything confirmed in writing but person wants me to do the negotiation!

What are they likely to accept? For example, one is for 319 pounds. shall i offer 100 pounds on their behalf in full and final?

Thanks once again.
    7.7K Posts
    If the debt is with a DCA, 25%-50% may be accepted and if it's with the original creditor 50%-75%.

A starting figure of about 30% i think is pretty fair. It may also depend on what the court had ordered payment to be. How many years would it take to pay off the full debt? Would it be paid off in that persons lifetime?
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

• Relative has none of the original papers - never responded to them as far as I am aware but I have asked that they request the papers from the court. if it totals around 2k then at 10 a month for each creditor would take over 6 yrs to repay - my maths is not good!!!

I will offer DCA 30% of the debt in full and final on basis that judgement is satisifed.

Thanks for your help - anything else I should be aware of?
    7.7K Posts
    Not that i can think of.

It might be worth doing a search on the consumeractiongroup forum incase there is something there. There will probably be a few threads on this but hopefully also a template letter.

let us know how you get on.

• thank you very much for your help.
  • Peekay32Peekay32 Forumite
    115 Posts
    SolicitorMidlands, what would you do if they refused your settlement offer and insisted that if the full amount is not received they'll enforce the Judgment through bailiffs?
  • I've got no idea what I would advise - set up a monthly payment scheme I assume to stop the ballifs?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals