What happens in consultation periods?

I was told last week that my role is being considered for redundancy and that I will now be in the 1 month consultation process (there's over 30 redundancies).

What is the actual process for consultation? I have a meeting next week - as I understand it's to go through why redundancies are happening, why my job, look at any alternatives etc. If you have a 1 month consultation period though, and your meetings are wrapped up beforehand, what happens? Do you just wait till a month has gone then they announce your redundancy, or do they push it forward and just pay you in leiu of any time difference? Do you also get paid for any time during the appeals process? I am worried that another job will not be easy to find, especially walking round the agencies on Friday there wasnt much going! So if I can extend the time I'm paid then it would be a help.

Also - I currently rent a house from my mum but I have paid rent in cash each month. What evidence would I need to provide for housing benefit? I still need to pay her as my rent covers the bills and she's on a reduced wage these days. Would I claim for a 1 bedroom place even though the house is bigger?

Thanks for any help.
matched betting: £879.63

Comments

• Hi, we are also going through a 30 day redundancy consultation at work. Once the main consultation meetings have finished, your company will then choose the staff being made redundant according to the scoring criteria discussed at your meetings. These staff will then have individual consultations with HR about their terms, whether they think they can save their jobs, etc.

By law, no-one can be made redundant until the actual 30 day period is up, and you must then be paid your notice period/any redundancy after this time.

Sorry can't help with the rent issue but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to.
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know what happens with regards appeals? If you are appealing and 30 days are up, are you still paid for the time of the appeal?

My job role is being made redundant and I am only one doing it, so there's effectively a pool of 1 for my job. As such there is very little chance of the fact I'm being made redundant changing any time soon! I was just wondeirng best way to prolong it as I think finding a job will be tough.

From what I've read it sounds like they give a month's consultation and within that time also try and fit in any appeal. Just wondering what happens if it goes beyond a month though.
  • piggeh
    Forumite
    Would anyone be able to advise on housing benefit please? I have set up a standing order this month going forwards to my mum for rent money, but previously, I have just paid her in cash. I have large cash withdrawals on my bank statements at the end of each month which was for the rent - would this be sufficient proof to claim any housing benefit or do I need to producesomething else?

Thanks for any advice.
  • Have your mum write out and sign receipts for the payments you've made. This in conjunction with the withdrawls should be enough if you can produce your bank statements.

Good luck with the job hunt. I'm in the same position regarding the redundancy but am equally clueless!
  • piggeh
    Forumite
    Thanks, will get a signed record together.

Good luck with your job hunt :)
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,092
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi the company do not have to pay you for the time between the redundancy dismissal (the day they ask you to leave) and any appeal. In the very unlikely event that you were re-instated following appeal, they would probably have to pay you the missing days as it was not your fault that you were not in work.

They can also serve notice early if everyone agrees that the consultation has ended - so if you don't want them to do that you can suggest further things you want to be considered...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If there are 30 redundancies, there has to be a 90 day consultation period.

Click this link for info from ACAS http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=877&p=0
  • GAILEY
    GAILEY Posts: 133
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it is 30 days if 20-99 and 90 days if 100 or more.
  • piggeh
    Forumite
    Yeah that's what I read, 30 days. Thanks for clarification.

I wasn;t aware that if an 'agreement' is reached within 30 days they can give you notice early though! That's a tad worrying as I was trying to just get it out the way then await redundancy after the 30 days period! Bah..

What constitutes 'agreement' between both parties? Guess it's best to try and extend any consultation period for the full 30 days regardless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport