How many savings pots?

in Debt-free wannabe
15 replies 1.2K views
My hubby says I am obsessed with saving lol I have

3 sealed tins which I save a few £ a week for kids spending money for holidays.
Sealed pot for OUR spending money for holidays
Copper pot for 1p and 2p which go to grandchild's account once it gets to a few £
Virtual sealed pot...............for whatever :rolleyes:
Holiday fund.............not paying for holiday until I have to , used to pay travel agent weekly but I may as well get the interest.
Emergency fund
Christmas money.......£40 a month.

So have 4 accounts plus 5 "pots". I know what is in each and what each is for, am I obsessed? I just liek to know I have XXX amount towards each thing as I think if all in one account would just get confused lol
TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T

Replies

• I have 3 savings pots - one for notes, one for £2 and £1 and one for all other change. The notes one is for christmas, the £2/£1 is for holiday spends and the other is for a treat for the kids.

I also have 3 savings account in the bank - one for my 'loose change' from my account, the other is for birthdays and days out, and the the third is for overpayments to mortgage. It is great seeing them increase each month, although I dont know how much is in each of the pots indoors as these are sealed.
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • doelanidoelani Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I dont know how much is in each of the pots indoors as these are sealed.

my holiday pot is a terrimundi which I only put notes in , so I write on outside what is in it as I will have to break it to open it anyway lol

I am always buying moneyboxes and tins so if I decide I need anotehr "pot" I will have it lol
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • mussgomussgo Forumite
    139 Posts
    I dont have 'real' pots, mine are virtual and are kept up to date on a spreadsheet, the money is transferred to a different account on payday. I have cut down on the number of them, lumping them in groups, Christmas and birthdays, used to be 2 individuals.

I have 11, there is a fair bit in them as I have been saving for one item for over two years (another one to go:rolleyes:). I use a spread sheet I found on MSE ages ago!
  • I have
    Terramundi for £1/£2.00 coins, pillar box (with cat on top) money box for 1p/2p, cat shaped money box for 5p, old tin with hole cut in lid for 20p/50p.

Hope to empty them all at end of year; hoping not to be so suprised this year that Christmas comes in December
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • spam.jamspam.jam Forumite
    398 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    chrissie57 wrote: »
    Hope to empty them all at end of year; hoping not to be so suprised this year that Christmas comes in December

^^^^^^:rotfl:
    i have two pots indoors one for small change and one for 50p and 20p, i used to have 3 savings account virtual pots but ive lumped them together into one Easy ISA for the interest, im still keeping three virtual pot totals in my sig coz im saving for three different things
    Proud to be dealing with my debts Nerd #992 LBM 30.06.08 Debt [strike]£3292[/strike] £1646 (50% paid, all interest free) Sealed pot member #434 £65.09 & Virtual sealed pot member #001 £82.07+£33.04+£112.83=£227.94 Gave up smoking 30.01.09 DfDay 01.12.09 :wink: Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful (sell it instead)
  • kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have one Terramundi and I put £2 coins in it, no idea how much is in there, when I cannot get any more in there, I will hit is with a hammer and spend it on what ever I want for ME!
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea
  • At the moment I have an old Roses jar that has 1p, 2p, 5p, 20p and 50p's in it. I have a terramundi that is home to £2 coins. I have 3 savings accounts online - 1 for my car, 1 for my prescriptions/optical/dental and 1 is my virtual sealed pot.
    I'm hoping to open another 4 savings accounts (holidays and social funds) a regular or monthly saver for house deposit and an ISA in the next few weeks again for house deposit savings.
  • I have my tin with a slot punched into it for £2 coins - that's Center Parcs spending money and I have a £500 tin that I use for £1 coins and notes, that's to save for a new bathroom!
    We also have a jar for coppers and 5p's
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • I have 3 pots/jars in my room.

One Hello Kitty Coin bank that i use for coppers and take to the bank every 3/4months when its full.
    One Magical Counting jar :) For silver and £1 coins
    And a sealed jar (from poundshop) for £2 coins
    I also have a savings account which i put the "odds" from my main bank account into, which i am saving for my spending money for Palma in March
  • I have 4 'e' accounts which are my virtual pots.

Not sure if i'd be able to break one of those lovely terrimundis!

Tonixx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals