Any tips for Maurituis?

Options
Hi people im going to Maurituis next month. Got any general tips?
Im going to be staying in a town called Trou d'eau Douce which is on the east coastof the country. Will b e hiring a car to travel around the country too.
One concern is that my hotel is about 60min away from the airport so what would be the best forn of trave to get to my hotel? Are taxi's expensive (airport transfer)..?
Whats the food like, is there any special foods to eat?
Again any infomation will be great. Thankyou in advance.

Comments

• cundall
    cundall Posts: 859 Forumite
    Options
    Taxi's are not that cheap infact msot things the tourist way are not that cheap. There is a local bus that will take you from the airport Port Loui (think thats the correct spelling, well its the capital) and then you can take a bus from there and thats not bad. The island is that small you dont need a car but then you can drive to nice small islands. Its cheap to eat as a local and its a very nice place though not what you will think from all the pictures. Make sure you have a french phrase book to get by as most people speak french and not much english apart from in the resorts.

Mark

The bus's are fun and the express bus is the one to go for and there is a max price for a bus so you cannot get ripped off though watch the locals. There is a very nice snack which is dahl and chipati (very thin) and is dirt cheap i will find out the name when i am at home.
  • elvis_bloggs
    Options
    Try and avoid the hurricanes. 1a_y_deadpan.gif

• LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's a useful site...

http://www.mauritius.net

Although Trou d'Eau Douce is only 10-15 miles from the airport as the crow flies, I don't think there's a direct road which is why it will take up to an hour to get there.

We stayed near Grande Baie so I can't help on your area.

Although the island is small, the roads (and the bus routes) tend to fan out from Port Louis, so I would suggest a car hire would be helpful to get around.

I agree with the comment above about language, but a phrase book may not help! They don't speak French French - but a Creole dialect.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello drharrisjones

I've just searched this board and found this Mauritius thread. It should give you some helpful tips.

Kind Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • niadoz
    niadoz Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Mauritius is very expensive. Cheaper to go all inclusive there.
    We went on a catamaran cruise to Illes de Cerfs (not sure of the spelling). We also went deep sea fishing. Both trips were lovely but around extra £250. I love the island and hope to return there soon. Wa actually got married out there which didn't work out to be too expensive!! Hope u have a lovely time!
  • drharrisjones
    Options
    Many thanks for the great information you guys have provided me.
    If you have any more infomation then that would be great.
    Any tips on foods.? I love spicy indian food and oriental food, does any one have any recommendations on nice food. Thanks again in advanced.
  • freddie_2
    freddie_2 Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    Have been and stayed at the Hilton. It was last May and really enjoyed it. We also done a boat cruise to the illles def neuff(SP!) We hired a car for a couple of days which was fun but most people seemed to take a taxi as there were loads waiting for people at the tourist spots. Not that much to do on the island, Botanical gargens were OK and the 7 colours of earth, big waste of time.
    We also went to the water fall which I packed swimwear and had images of swimming in rock pools etc under the waterfall. When we got there the viewing platform was about a mile away from the waterfall and you can only look from a distance. Not quite what I had in mind!
    Hilton was fab with a great spa and treatments. Capital Port Louis was a day trip but quite dirty and not that much great shopping. Tourists things very expensive. There will be loads of brouchers etc about factory shops, clothing factories etc but there isnt actually that much in the hops when you get there and what is is 10 years out of fashion.
    We were 1/2 board and really only ate in the hotel. Quite a poor island in many places and didnt fancy eating in many of the local restaurants.
    Locals are lovely and really helps that they drive on the same side of road as us, again as we are British they are very friendly and are willing to answer any question about the island.
    Do take spirtits from duty free with you as are expensive there.
    I really enjoyed my honeymoon there and will try to answer any other questions.

Stopped in Dubai and the way home and had 3 nights in Burj al Arab, WOW! is all I can say!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure