🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

New Years Eve 2006 - New York

Options
Hi,

Anyone started planning their 2006 NYE getaways yet? I'd really like to go to New York for anything upto a week, all depends on getting the best price deal.

Any tips on when is the best time of year to start booking flights / hotels etc? At the moment, teletext.co.uk is the only site I can find that gives you prices for flights, say between 28/12/05 to 04/01/06 £252 - inc tax. No hotel sites are quoting for rooms for that period yet.

These days, I doubt I'd get anything decent last minute, I did briefly look for 2005 NYE and everything was astronomical!! Similarily, booking very early might not be the most optimal time to do it.

As a rough guide, if I got a weeks stay at a 3 star hotel near Time Square for £250 per person all in (flights + hotel, of course), I book it now, no questions. £350 pp is the limit I'd go to. Any higher, I'd rather just stay at home!!!

Thanks in advance......

Comments

• monkeyspanner
    Options
    I assume you mean 28/12/06 to 4/1/07. BA have this available but its £379 just for the flight. Even the best discounted flight started at around the £240 mark for December 2005 but you are unlikely to see these for a while. In 2005 all east coast USA discounted flight deals were only valid for departures up to either 14th or 15th December so I'm not sure you are going to have much luck. This year there were sales from Continental, Air Lingus and IcelandAir in addition to the main carriers to east coast airports these were all late summer early autumn. You could try package deals which are usually 3/4 nights and you might be lucky and get these for around your upper limit.
  • hammy_the_hammer
    Options
    personally i think you'll be staying at home if your upper limit is £350 pp for a week. some airlines do cheaper air fares flying on christmas day but i think these are only cheap in relation to how much you pay at what is an expensive time to travel
  • sujman
    sujman Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry, yes I did mean 28/12/06 to 04/01/07!! Also, I should have said £350 upper limit for a 3/4 day stay, I'd pay upto £500 per person for a weeks stay but it'd have to be a really nice hotel in a central location.

Thanks again
  • richardj_4
    Options
    Not a chance at the prices you're willing to pay. I had to pay well over £200 in a hotel for NYE alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport