chased for past payment gas

:confused: Can anyone advise me-i am happy to pay my bills and would not deliberately avoid paying, but i recently received a letter from a debt company asking for me to contact them as i had an outstanding debt. alarmed i rang them and they said it was for an old address that i rented in 2007 for powergen gas and electricity £262.85. They said they would give me two weeks to pay. I spoke to Powergen-now Eon and they said they sent out the final bill 3months after i left the property. I beleive i paid the final bill but am not sure if i can give evidence of this. unfortunatly i recently threw out all my old bills as i thought i had finished with them, but i did keep them as i usually write date paid and how etc. Is it up to me to prove that i did? they say i have to now go through the debt company since it is out of Eon's hands-i was very unhappy about this as although they said they have been trying to find me since September 2007 this is the first i have heard of the matter and it has already gotton to a serious stage regarding court etc. I complained that as this is the first i have heard it should be dealt with as from now and i refused to deal with the debt company. do you have any advice-i suppose i should just pay it straight away to stop it escalating even more but it is a lot for me and im sure i have paid it. Any suggestions please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure