Virgin/BA fuel surcharge update 31 Dec 08

Just received the following email:

Dear Claimant:

We have received many enquiries regarding the timing for payment of refunds from the British Airways and Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Refund Settlement. Please note that on 21 October 2008, three Objectors appealed the Order and Final Judgment approving the Settlements. Resolution of this appeal is likely to take at least six months and could take more than a year, depending on the speed with which the appeals court decides the issue.

Payments to all claimants in the United States and the United Kingdom will be delayed until the appeal by the three Objectors is resolved.

Copies of the relevant court filings and a more detailed update can be found at www.airpassengerrefund.co.uk on the "Reminders/Updates" page.

Kind regards,

Air Passenger Refund Settlement Fund
Email: [EMAIL="info@airpassengerrefund.co.uk"][email protected][/EMAIL]

Another 6 months at least folks. Probably longer - possibly never.

I wonder who the 3 objectors could be :rolleyes:

Replies

• Three Brits....reason given here
    Afraid i don't understand legal jargon very well, maybe somebody on here can explain in simpler terms for people like me.:confused:
  • eddaedda Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    500 Posts
    Think the email is probably going out to all claimants.

The 3 objectors live in the UK - though they could be citizens of another country.

I don't do legalese - but they appear to be objecting to the settlement being determined in the USA when their flights were from the UK to another country (not the USA).
  • Oh dear ...

I received this email today aswell and followed the link to the claimant's documentation mentioned:

https://www.airpassengerrefund.co.uk/Documents/Objection%20-%20Hagger%20Vere-Hopegood_110608.pdf

.... and it actually publishes the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the three claimants. It also explains why they have objected.

... I do hope there won't be too many disappointed people, starting 2009 with the knowledge that they payments will be delayed for between 6 months and a year.

I guess we'll get to know more in the newspapers, when the journalists get hold of it and give the story an update.

:confused:
  • Lizzie1912 wrote: »
    Oh dear ...

I received this email today aswell and followed the link to the claimant's documentation mentioned:

https://www.airpassengerrefund.co.uk/Documents/Objection%20-%20Hagger%20Vere-Hopegood_110608.pdf

.... and it actually publishes the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the three claimants. It also explains why they have objected.

... I do hope there won't be too many disappointed people, starting 2009 with the knowledge that they payments will be delayed for between 6 months and a year.

I guess we'll get to know more in the newspapers, when the journalists get hold of it and give the story an update.

:confused:

All the information on the objections and who objected has already been available for 2 months, its taken this long for the emails to be sent out to people, It was in the press a while ago.
  • Well I hope the three people in question are happy now. I'm certainly not.
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It looks to me as if this could cause an enormous delay to any settlement. The court decided, since it seems not to have considered the issue before, that it had no jurisdiction, in other words, no right to determine, the legality of claims from UK citizens who bought tickets from BA or VIrgin but whose destination was not the USA. As they have no links at all with the US, the judicial system has determined that they cannot be part of a 'class action' to recover the money overcharged as fuel supplements.

I see that Virgin, for all their protestations of innocence, also told the court that they belived these customers had no right to make a claim. This puts the whole settlement in danger, the airlines are going to argue that the only liability they have is to customers with tickets to or through the USA, a much smaller number than first imagined. They will no doubt then want to reduce the amount they have agreed to pay and it leaves everyone else, who bought tickets in the UK to anywhere other than the US with no refund at all, unless further action is started here, where the law is far from clear as to whether a similar action would succeed.
  • So,it gives their addresses and their phone numbers does it.:D :T :T
    Just wondering how many calls they get.:rotfl: :rotfl:
  • photomephotome Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    What are thse 3 objectors objecting to and what are they trying to change?

I couldnt understand the technical jargon.....did read their addresses and phone numbers tho:eek: .

I want my money...I did fly to the US so hopefully will get something eventually
  • photomephotome Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Does anyone know?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals