Growing veg help.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
8 replies 925 views
3_cheeky_princesses3_cheeky_princesses Forumite
1.8K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hello all,

Due to the current financial climate plus a couple of other unforseen incidences in our life we are really cutting costs wherever we can this year.

I am not very green fingered at all but would like to grow some veggies this year to money save but also as a bonding and educational experience with my children.

I havent a big garden so wondering if i could grow some out of pots / container setc on the patio.

Any suggestions of which vegetables would be ideal for this would be gratefully received as i havent a clue where to start to be honest! :embarasse
Member of Thrifty Gifty ~ Making money for Christmas 2010:
£2 Savers club member no 40 ~ £54
Amazon Vouchers BingoPort ~ £10
Dooyoo Challenge Jan ~ £24.07 / £20.00 Yippee over target :j

Replies

• SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hiya

have a look over on the greenfingered board, there are lots of threads on growing veg etc and some cover growing in bags and pots and other containers. I grew some this year and i shall be growing more next year too.

Mixed salad leaves ( my seeds were from wilco) will grow all year round in small pots on a windowsill and sprouting seeds will do the same in a glass jar with damp kitchen roll in the bottom, i grew some lovely beansprouts for stir frys. Good luck.
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • As Sunnyday says there is lots of excellent advice over on Greenfingered board.
    Don't forget you can plant "upwards" e.g. tumbling tomatoes, strawberries etc. in hanging baskets
    Great idea to involve the children. Good luck.
  • Thank you Happyroly and sunnyday.

Opps I should of posted on the greenfingers board sorry got the wrong board! lol

Thanks again
    Member of Thrifty Gifty ~ Making money for Christmas 2010:
    £2 Savers club member no 40 ~ £54
    Amazon Vouchers BingoPort ~ £10
    Dooyoo Challenge Jan ~ £24.07 / £20.00 Yippee over target :j
  • Potatoes can be grown in a huge bucket. Buy seed potatoes, put some soil in the bottom of the bucket. add potatoes cover with soil and water. As they start to shoot keep adding another layer of soil over the top. this encourages more growth. Hey presto a bucket of spuds. It will keep the kids happy for a while anyway
    :T £2.00 coin saver number 059

Sealed pot challenge number 519:j
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi cheeky princesses,

As others have said, you should get more help with this on the Greenfingered board so I've moved your thread across.

Pink
  • HI

There is a whole thread full of ideas here and many more. Just do a search for "container gardening". And ask away - no such thing as a stupid question
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potatoes can be grown in a huge bucket. Buy seed potatoes, put some soil in the bottom of the bucket. add potatoes cover with soil and water. As they start to shoot keep adding another layer of soil over the top. this encourages more growth. Hey presto a bucket of spuds. It will keep the kids happy for a while anyway

As you are growing in bucket, there is no real need for seed spuds as soilborne disease is not a problem, you can use any you like from greengrocer, even some peelings with eyes would do it
  • How much space can you realistically turn over to this project? A variant of the "squarefoot gardening" may be useful, it's basically intensive planting in a contained area, which also allows you to grow upwards, do no digging, and control the growing conditions to quite a high extent. It would be possible to grow all year round with a bit of initiative (cloches, etc). The kids may find this useful, as they can take ownership of some of the squares. As an educational process, make sure you go through the whole "life cycle of a plant" with them, show them sprouting seeds, and then when it gets to marrow time, carve their names on some growing marrows, and they will expand as they grow!

Google for "square foot gardening" to see how it all works - there are also some posts on here if you search for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides