Etsy/Making jewellery

I've been making jewellery for a while, not sold anything just made it to amuse myself.

I've made wedding tiaras etc, I've perfected my craft so to speak, have spoken to afriend who works at a wedding dress shop and she has said that my first tiara was very good (hoping she wasn't fobbing me off)

Does anyone do this? Is it worth it? What is the initial outlay (apart from beads etc I meant packaging and where you sell it)

I enjoy it so might as well sell it, I just don't want to be a failure
Money money money.

Debt
Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55

Comments

• I have been making tiaras in my spare time, people love them, but I`m not sure where to sell them really.... wedding fayres are so expensive and a lot of bridal shops buy theirs in from Hong Kong or wholesale.
    Etsy is an option but you would need to have some well shot photos as there is lots of competition out there.
    Do you use swarovski, czech glass or acrylic beads?
  • Etsy is a fab site, but jewellery is pretty much the biggest category on etsy, with so much competition you really need to have something special to stand out from the crowd, and you will still need to do a lot of advertising to attract customers to your listings.

At at the moment what we really have to consider is the exchange rate. As etsy is an American site you have to list ion dollars and your postage costs to the US are going to be higher (not great for American buyers) and the exchange rate is poor (not good for UK buyers).

There are a few other similar sites, both European and UK, but as with any of these options you still need to advertise/direct customers to your listings.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • Outlay:
    tissue, boxes, business cards, labels, postal supplies, postage costs, listing costs, insurance (if applicable) tax, website costs, all sorts of things, can add up in the end.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Urgh, its not like I want to make lots of money, its just that I've built up a collection now! So need to make space.
    I was going to try ebay but the listing fees put me off
    Money money money.

Debt

• have a look at local community craft fairs where you could get a stall for as little as 10 pounds, and sell them there! it might not be quite the right backing but you're still getting them out there. i did one with my friend who made feathered fascinators (and i make cards) and although she didnt sell any, loads of people commented and took her card in case an occassion ever came up....
    folksy is very good, its the uk version of etsy, so u dont have to worry about the exchange rate phooey. https://www.folksy.com
    Wins 2012: £50 Love2Shop voucher, Lets Dance tickets, Juan Zelades CD, bluetooth speaker, Blackberry 9360 with £30 credit a month, Chocolate, Maybelline Goodie Bag, Hunter wellies!

• i will be checking folksy out thank you :)
    Money money money.

Debt

• lucylema
    lucylema Posts: 834 Forumite
    abby, How about signing up to wedding sites Confetti and Hitched. You could then post a link to photos of your tiaras and sell them there?

For Hitched, you could become a Hitcher in Business and sell on there. Many people do this. I haven't been online on that site for ages but I used to chat on there.

Would you friend not sell them for you in her shop?

Bridal fayres would also be a place to sell them - does your friend go to them at all? Could you go along with her with your tiaras?

lucy xx
    Lucylema x :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family