Pre-payment meter

Options
I got an email ffrom Housing.org.uk all about prepayment meters here it is.

Federation prepay campaign helps save customers £100 million

Prepayment meter customers have seen £100m slashed from their bills since the start of the year, following a high profile campaign by the National Housing Federation, its members, and other organisations.
The energy regulator Ofgem today announced energy companies were on track to remove more than £500m in unfair bill premiums, which includes a £100m saving for the nation's 6m prepayment meter customers, many of whom come from most vulnerable sectors of society, including those on low incomes and single parent families.
Prepay tariffs, which are the most expensive in the market, have been steadily falling over the last few months as the Federation and its members have turned up the heat on the energy companies through a series of high profile national media stories - and lobbying of MPs across the country.
Federation Chief Executive David Orr said: "The fact the energy companies have been pressurised into reducing the prepayment meter premium is a great victory for the Federation, its members, and those other organisations who have been working so hard on this shocking injustice.
"Two years ago, prepay meters were hardly ever mentioned in the mainstream media or Parliament - but now the prepayment meter premium is a political hot potato.
"The success of this campaign shows how the housing association movement can be a real force for good in our society."
Despite the progress made, three of the six big energy firms still refuse to lower their prepay charges for gas. British Gas, EDF and Scottish and Southern Energy are continuing to charge their prepayment gas customers up to £50 more a year than those who pay their bills on a quarterly basis .
The Federation welcomed the £100m savings for pre-payment meter customers, but insisted that Ofgem - which made a raft of announcements today - should have gone much further and categorically outlawed the prepayment premium.
The Federation's assistant director, Paul Rees, was interviewed today on Radio 5 Live and Radio 4 on Ofgem's failure and David Orr said: "Ofgem has today condemned hundreds of thousands of vulnerable households to having to pay more for their energy than those who are more affluent - simply because they use a prepayment meter.
"This was Ofgem's big chance to bring some festive cheer to vulnerable households across the country, but they have quite simply sided with the pinstripe pirates once again.
"We have had talk all year long that the practice of charging prepayment meter customers more for their energy would be outlawed, and yet we will be going into the New Year with this disgraceful practice still being allowed.
"Ministers must now step in and ensure that prepay customers are not charged a penny more than those who pay by quarterly bill."
:T :T :T :T :T
BUT STILL WHOS CHEAPER ??? ANYONE KNOW ?? :mad:

Comments

• LeLLe
    LeLLe Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with British Gas and pretty annoyed theyre still charging more than other companys. And i can't change supplier as it's a rented home :(
    It is a step in the right direction though, but how long it takes for the suppliers to change is anyones guess.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    LeLLe - is there something in your contract that says you can't change supplier?
    If not, you pay the bills, you decide who you pay.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    LeLLe wrote: »
    I'm with British Gas and pretty annoyed theyre still charging more than other companys. And i can't change supplier as it's a rented home :(
    It is a step in the right direction though, but how long it takes for the suppliers to change is anyones guess.

Don't understand why you can't switch, we have always rented and friends and family who also rent have never been prevented from choosing their own gas and electricity provider.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure